What 29er?

shaun8500

Hey guys

So I know the topics on 29er vs 26er are huge but now I need some real advice.

Ive decided I want a 29er Full Sus... I think or a 26er full sus! The dilemma! I have budgeted R20k and the options so far are the GT Sensor 2.0 26er (R17k) or the 29er R21K. the other rad bike is the Trek hifi Deluxe for R23ish. Its pushing me amount wise but i want to get a good strong bike. Any thoughts or convincing me would be good, Im a student so smashing this amount of money is going to be hard!!!

Hey guys

Ive decided I want a 29er Full Sus... I think or a 26er full sus! The dilemma! I have budgeted R20k and the options so far are the GT Sensor 2.0 26er (R17k) or the 29er R21K. the other rad bike is the Trek hifi Deluxe for R23ish. Its pushing me amount wise but i want to get a good strong bike. Any thoughts or convincing me would be good, Im a student so smashing this amount of money is going to be hard!!!

Get a copy of the latest Bicycling magazine featuring a sub R20K 29er shoot-out and base you purchase on what you like!

haha, im on the same boat dude. looking at spending around the same amount and not sure what to get.... hope you dont mind if i use your thread as well?

good luck with your shopping.....

What bike?? 26", 29" HT or FS, had the same problems earlier in the year.

After riding a Trek 930 HT for many years (15 years, on and off) I decided to get the Trek hifi GF Deluxe. Got it from my LBS at a great price under R19k. For my weekend riding and skill level the bike is great and obviously a big improvement. Not had a single issue with the bike, in fact only positives.

Hey guys

You want advice? Be a proper student and smash the money on 200cases of beer.you won't regret it.

Seriously though, if you're going to throw that much money, make sure you have enough change to a)maintain it b)insure it.

I think i prefer a 26', ridden both. im now keen on the Giant Anthem X2??? ANy thoughts? Compared to the Trance X2. Im 85kg and enjoy the social rides plus the odd 40-60km route. I do enjoy technical rock gardens etc and Cascades in PMB is a favourite playground!

If I were you I'd get a second hand 26 inch bike. You'll get top of the range with the whole sheeple 29er craze putting a lot of damn fine 26ers on the market.

I think i prefer a 26', ridden both. im now keen on the Giant Anthem X2??? ANy thoughts? Compared to the Trance X2. Im 85kg and enjoy the social rides plus the odd 40-60km route. I do enjoy technical rock gardens etc and Cascades in PMB is a favourite playground!

Good bike the Anthem, it depends on the riding you want to do. If you want to be doing more xc type riding the Anthem is the one. The Trance is also a very good option, giving you more travel and a more relaxed riding position( more trail riding)

Guys its simple, I have had several 26' full sus and had a anthem X 29er and now have the Santa Cruse Tall Boy.

A 29er requires more effort to climb. Are you a good climber? If not stick to the 26' bike. Simple.

What you gain on the levels and downhills with a 29er is normally much less in time than the time spent climbing in any event or ride.

Strong climbers 29er

Weaker climbers 26"