not dropping weight

Hi Ollie

Three day fast will make me loose 3 kg no problem. But will gain it again within a week. Fasting is the worst thing you can do. No easy solotion.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BIGVAN

cut out the glutemine and the whey protein and im sure that will make a difference already, those products are not necessary for the amount of riding that you are doing, a low fat chocolate milk is just as effective for recovery but even that IMO is not necessary. as Johnson86 mentioned... pay attention to what zone you are training in, it doesnt make sense to many people that training at a lower intensity is better in terms of weight lose than going balls to the wall!

Please notice the absence of coffee.

You can't call yourself a real cyclist with out coffee!! :drool:

Hi Ollie

Three day fast will make me loose 3 kg no problem. But will gain it again within a week. Fasting is the worst thing you can do. No easy solotion.

Fasting isn't the answer, but it demonstrates the science.

Caloric deficit equals weight-loss. If you're not losing weight, you are either eating too much (consuming too many calories) or not training enough or effectively (burning too few calories).

Mind all the hidden calories & natural sugars, especially from fruits & fruit juices.

You can't call yourself a real cyclist with out coffee!! :drool:

Thats me gutted then, I drink Rooibos!

Here is some more science. Insuline resistance makes your body take insuline that is supposed to be used as energy and store it as fat. For this you need medicine called Metformin. Without it the more insuline you produce the fatter youl will get without having energy you need to train even with very low carbs intake. The solotion is not simply eat less train more. the solotion is eat right, train right ,take the correct medication and suppliments and do not be in a hurry. For people with IR weight loss is not a diet it is a way of life.You will have months with no results.

So Mampara are you saying no coffee even without sugar & low fat milk? :(

alot less coffee and if you have some, it must be the real stuff, not the stuff out of a bottle or tin. And definitely not sugar and any milk.

You can also go for a training ride after just having coffee in the morning.

general rule of thum is that the body is most optimised at burning fat after 45 minutes into a training session at 60% of your maximum heart rate (in english, easy enough to hold a conversation while you are training). Your body will burn Glucose for energy for the first 45 - 90 minutes of any given session. if your training session only last 45 - 60 minutes you wont burn much fat, the other option is lessen your carb intake and have a diet consisting of 80% protein, this will force your body to burn the existing sources for energy instead of just refueling it. It works like a hybrid in a way when the petrol runs out it burns the hydrogen (or whatever those things use?? :) ) when there is no petrol you'll use the other fuels, it wont be comfortable but it will work, when you are at your goal weight you can figure out kj burned vs kj needed to maintain that weight.. hope you come right!

Hello guy's

As you can see by my nick name is Bigvan i am a big guy. 1.76tall but big build.

When i started MTB in December i was about 125KG(stop smoking and travel a lot ,so lots of takeaway's) now

i am about 118-17.5kgs. Its bin like that for the last 2 months.

I am training about 3 to 4 rides a week 16km mountain biking and do light weights on my no ride days.

I take glutamine for the acid and muscle recovery. Whey protein for after a hard ride or work out and

take CLA cap's for tone and shape. I am on a lo G.I eating plan eat small meals five times a day if i can

and lots of water.... about 2lts a day.

So to get to the point..... Why am i not losing more weight?

Is it cos i am building muscle mas or am i doing sum thing wrong?

Dont b so focused on what the scale says. U probably losing inches :)

BigVan is no flabby fatty... he's just a big lad.

Since everyone seems to be adding their 2cents, here's mine:

4 rides a week burning 500 - 700 kCal per session is a good base. However I would recommend building ONE of those sessions up to burn at least 2000kCal.

That will almost double your calories burnt per week and should get you through the plateau you seem to have reached.

Also, I'd loose all the supplements except for the whey, but only use the whey after the BIG session.

A very valid point coming through in some of the replies is that we are all unique individuals. So it makes sense that if your are serious about losing 10 or 15 more kilograms, seeing a dietitian and getting a personalized training program will speed up your progress. BUT... if you do loose 10 or 15 more kilograms we can't call you BigVan no more...

Here is some more science. Insuline resistance makes your body take insuline that is supposed to be used as energy and store it as fat. For this you need medicine called Metformin. Without it the more insuline you produce the fatter youl will get without having energy you need to train even with very low carbs intake. The solotion is not simply eat less train more. the solotion is eat right, train right ,take the correct medication and suppliments and do not be in a hurry. For people with IR weight loss is not a diet it is a way of life.You will have months with no results.

Admittedly I don't know much about IR. Surely, all things being equal (i.e. have IR, take the medication, correct supplements, eat correct type of foods, burn 2500kcal), if one had to consume 2500kcal in one instance and 1500kcal on another, there would be an overall caloric imbalance in the latter instance?

Edited by Ollie

Thanks guys!

Lots of good tips here. Got my self a hart rate monitor last week

and will keep the HR% in mind. My ride are getting longer but for

a guy my sises it takes a wile 2 get the ride time up. And i just do MTB

so ride time is shorter then road. But will get it up.

The whey and glutamine i only take after a long ride. So its not

a every day thing. Trust me it helps. Cos ever time i have a long ride my muscles hurt.

And i was of the whey and glutamine for 2 weeks and my weight staid the same but my muscle recovery

was very slow and i battled more and more with my rides.

Do yourself a favour and read Tim Ferriss' book "The 4-hour Body".

Some very interesting things in there in terms of what to eat, and how to exercise.

www.fourhourbody.com

I've lost weight on WeighLess, and put most of it back on. I've been hovering between 92-94kg for about a year now, and have now dropped 2kg in the last week. My intention is to use Tim's plan to drop 10kg in 30 days (one of his challenges) then re-assess after that what needs to be done.

Thanks will check it out.