Best buy for a beginner: 29er

Matt123

All of the Momsen AL329's are sold out... you will need to wait until August/September for the new stock to arrive

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a 9.5kg 29er... with pedals, bottle cage and Garmin (as ridden) but new S-Works tyres will dip the weight to 9.3kg.

Andre,what is the exact name of this bike?

Eldron's right, Giant XTC 29er is the best bike in that price bracket IMHO, you can always upgrade the wheels later

Good luck!

I know exactly what you should get as a beginner - a hard tail 26er with flat bedals. Learn to ride that and then, only then will you know how to ride a bike properly without accumulating any bad habits!

Please be so kind as to give us a name that suits YOU and describes it better than "cockpit". BTW 26er bikes also have them so stop swinging around your sarcasm and not-so-whitty whip and start contributing FFS :angry:

Play nice KM - it was funny :thumbup:

you don't see us roadies getting ourselves in a twist, being made fun off by a bunch of wannabee cyclists (aka mounties) now do you? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I would strongly reccommend you build yourself a niner with a rigid fork.

For R15000 you could build a singlespeed niner MCR9, SIR 9 (both are made of steel so they are damn strong) and if you prefer aluminium there is the EMD 9 which is rhe cheapest of the three.

Then buy yourself the worlds best rigid fork, the niner carbon and make the bike a singlespeed. The reason for the rigid and singlespeed conversion lies in the fact that the niner wheels provide enough suspension (so you don't need a heavy fork which requires maintenance every 25 hours of ride and climbs are beter with a rigid) and single speed work with momentum and guess what 29 inch wheel are all about...momentum. So they fit together perfectly. PLus this all saves a lot of money and build you an indestructable maintanence free bike which will be extremely light and will own climbs.

I would reccomend you buy a pair of dt swiss rims mabye even form the hub and get a slx crank and some cheap brakes like tektro.

Your bike should weigh less than 10kg and for a beginner, that is the most awsome you can go.

Plus singlespeed and rigid makes you cool.