Tandem Disk Brakes

An3

I've noticed that some tandems (Such as the Cannondale Road Tandem) have mechanical Disk brakes. Ara hydraulic disk brakes used on tandems? If not why?

A friend told me that he thinks it has to do with excissive heat causing issues.

I know of brakes that failed on a fully loaded Volvo Dump truck (must be 60 odd tons) because the fluid started to boil.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

I've noticed that some tandems (Such as the Cannondale Road Tandem) have mechanical Disk brakes. Ara hydraulic disk brakes used on tandems? If not why?

A friend told me that he thinks it has to do with excissive heat causing issues.

I know of brakes that failed on a fully loaded Volvo Dump truck (must be 60 odd tons) because the fluid started to boil.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Hi

Have mtb tandem, uses hydraulic disk brakes, conditions often more severe than on road ( also have road tandem) and absolutely no problemo.

May save weight or cost, but I see no other reason for not using hydraulic.

I would not like to jump on a tandem with mechanical disc brakes. Hydraulic disks will always be better. If there is more heat build up it just means your brakes are working better. To stop excessive heat build up you just get bigger discs. As far as I know the Magura Gustav M brakes are the only brakes that say you can use them on a tandem. I might be wrong but thats what I read a while ago. Oh they also stopped making the Gustav M's now. Heavy brake but they are super strong. Got one on the front of my downhill bike and it's a awesome brake.

Absolute Rubbish, I built up what we thought was the 1st Cannondale Road Tandem with Hydraulic Discs back in 2003 I think it was. We are still running Avid Juicy 5s with 203mm Rotors and can almost Endo the the bike. Sure they get hot but we have never had brakefade even when doing the Argus or any other race with serious downhills. We have had the usual of sticky pistons due to dirt build up but a quick clean and everything sorted. The tip is the 203mm rotor else you will be looking for trouble. Oh and if you can afford heavy duty brakes like Avid Codes or Hope M4s even better I say...

Road tandems mainly use mechanical disk brakes because of the gearshift/brake levers.

SRAM, Shimano and Campy road brake/shift levers use cable brakes, thus the reason for a cable disc.

Road tandems mainly use mechanical disk brakes because of the gearshift/brake levers.

SRAM, Shimano and Campy road brake/shift levers use cable brakes, thus the reason for a cable disc.

Aha! this makes sense!

if it's a MTB tandem I'd want all the stopping power I can get. That means hydrolic... and powerful ones at that. I'd probably go for something like Hope V2's, Hope Moto, Avid Codes or Shimano Saints.

Aha! this makes sense!

Do your choice of a front fork very well if you use a disk on the front. There have been cases of carbon fibre forks failing when the disk mount piulled out of the fork. Bad taste in the mouth case this!