KTM Score RC 4.0 (2010) or Silverback Mercury 2 (2011) - R15k

hanzr

Hi People,

I want to buy a soft tail and have R15k to spend.

After some browsing I think I've narrowed it down to two bikes:

- A KTM Score RC 4.0 2010 from CycleLab marked down from R20k and they are throwing in a KTM riding kit (shirt and pants)

- A Silverback Mercury 2 2011

The Silverback has slightly better components and a newer Aluminium compound (I assume lighter) is used for the frame.

KTM is a more famous brand and perhaps the suspension design is better, although they have discontinued the Score is 2011.

So, if anyone has an opinion on this, please reply.

If there are other options (in the Cape Town area) that has similar specs to the Silverback, please let me know.

Otherwise, I am leaning towards the Silverback and can use a push ;-)

The Silverback is definitely a better bike overall (better wheels, better shocks). I wouldn't call KTM a famous brand, if anything Silverback is more established in SA than KTM.

You can also add at least R1000 to the KTM's price to convert the rims to tubeless and put tubeless tires on - Silverback has Tubeless ready rims and UST tyres already.

You could have a look at the Scott Spark 50 for a similar price, but the specs are closer the KTM than the Silverback - better frame though.

My 2 cents, use it, don't use it...

Thanks, Polo.

I failed to mention that CycleLab has agreed to include the tubeless conversion as well.

Even so, I am still more inclined towards the Silverback.

for R1300 more you could try to get a merida matts 1-20 1500D from westdene cycles

XT derailleurs 2011

XT crank

XT hubs

XT triggers

Fox suspension...

Dude, for full suspension, these are quite crappy bikes! With 15000 have a look at a scott, merida or giant!

for R1300 more you could try to get a merida matts 1-20 1500D from westdene cycles

XT derailleurs 2011

XT crank

XT hubs

XT triggers

Fox suspension...

Thanks, Linton.

(Un)fortunately I live in CT, but I will see if I can find a similar deal here.

Dude, for full suspension, these are quite crappy bikes! With 15000 have a look at a scott, merida or giant!

Have you ridden these bike to make this comment

I have tried the Silverback and the suspension really is good with a nice stiff frame. The top tube is a little on the short side for me though.

KTM is a proper 4-bar or rather horst link type suspension system and from experience these give a really good ride. The last KTM's I looked at were really well finished off from a manufacturing perspective. I have not ridden one though.

Scott or Giant are also good options to look at.

I have also tried the Merida 120 something or other and am willing to say this is the worst duallie I have ever ridden.

There is a special now on the SB mercury 2 for about R14k ..... just make sure of the size ( frames are slightly small )

Go and get the SB !

I have also tried the Merida 120 something or other and am willing to say this is the worst duallie I have ever ridden.

It may well be the worst one you have ridden, but I find it really awesome... that's why each person should try the bikes for themselves.

Same system as the trek fuel range.

I got a good price from cyclefactory on the merida as well, but i didnt want to ship from there, i prefer the idea of having a store here if there are any come backs.

The Price on the site is around R18000, but call them, they offered me a better price when i called.

Edited by linton