[Event] ROBERTSON WINERY Wacky Wine Weekend MTB

liezel

Thanks to the organisers. Well done. I will be back.

Maybe there is a lesson somewhere for someone....

I had a blow out on the front at about 33km's. (Last downhill, close to the front. I could see trhe first guys) The tubeless tyre was badly cut. Took out my brand new , never used tube and put it in, only to discover it has a leak. Out again and eventually find the small cut. (Remember, by now everything is covered with slime.) Took out my (also new) repair kit. (made in Taiwan nogal). Cleaned the spot on the tube, opened the solution tube, only to find it is completely empty. It was never filled in the first place!

After about 1 hour and what felt like 200 riders passing (of which most offered help I must say, but no one had solution with them), a guy stopped and helped my with solution. I eventually got going and finished just before the cut-off time.

Lesson learnt - check your emergency repair stuff regularly!

Thanks to the guy with the blue-ish riding gear who stopped!

I will be back next year....

Edited by JacoM

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great event and route, but not keen on the Whacky Wine Festival goers. Nothing like a bunch of common adults mixed with desperate students and scholars looking for the cheapest bottle of wine to ruin a weekend.

Thursday night, at the Pedal Power Associations AGM, it was announced that the Robertson Winery MTB event was the most consistent high scoring event over the past five years. Thanks for all of your super-spirited support and we look forward to sharing next years event with you!!

Pics are up at www.oakpics.com . Click on “Sports” on their “Gallery” page.

• 11 months later...

Great ride! I love the climbs and fast downhills, the technical bits and the single track. Great signage and marshalling and the views were great. Well done!

You doing the Robertson MTB this year again?

You doing the Robertson MTB this year again?

Yip, that's the plan! And hopefully with a better seeding I'll start earlier and have less traffic on the single track.

Yip, that's the plan! And hopefully with a better seeding I'll start earlier and have less traffic on the single track.

Cool! See you there! Just entered the 42Km - 1st ever MTB race :D Dunno what my seeding is gonna be though :o

Cool! See you there! Just entered the 42Km - 1st ever MTB race :D Dunno what my seeding is gonna be though :o

I hope you like technical terrain and single track! It is all ridable, but there are a few nice surprises. And, in the past, a beer at the halfway mark (the most difficult obstacle of all)!

Arrange a MTB number from PPA prior to the event. You can't use your road number.

I hope you like technical terrain and single track! It is all ridable, but there are a few nice surprises. And, in the past, a beer at the halfway mark (the most difficult obstacle of all)!

Arrange a MTB number from PPA prior to the event. You can't use your road number.

Done! Called them this morning before entering - they were going to post it today. Pity I can't use my road number though :P Would have been a nice seeded start.

Done! Called them this morning before entering - they were going to post it today. Pity I can't use my road number though :P Would have been a nice seeded start.

Yip. For some reason road events aren't used for MTB seeding but MTB events count towards road seeding. Don't ask me why, but events like this does give one a great opportunity to improve the road seeding!

Yip. For some reason road events aren't used for MTB seeding but MTB events count towards road seeding. Don't ask me why, but events like this does give one a great opportunity to improve the road seeding!

Well, seeing that you are going to be in the area, are you going to try get currency for skydiving? Our plan is to stay the weekend. Jump either the afternoon or the following morning.... or are you over it? We are at DRCP - 1st one that counts. 2 more perfect DRCP jumps and we are into free fall :D

Well, seeing that you are going to be in the area, are you going to try get currency for skydiving? Our plan is to stay the weekend. Jump either the afternoon or the following morning.... or are you over it? We are at DRCP - 1st one that counts. 2 more perfect DRCP jumps and we are into free fall :D

Man, I'd love to, but I haven't dived in quite while and will have to redo the course. You guys enjoy!

• 1 year later...