Conti GP4000 vs Vittoria Open Corsa CX?

nuge

Hi Guys,

I've been looking for a fast, light set of tyres for racing on when summer eventually rolls around. I see the folks at Crown cycles (CT) currently have these on for the same price (R399 each). Now which one would you guys go for considering the dead heat on price?

Cheers

Have only used the Conti's. Probably not the fastest or the lightest but they are outstanding for puncture resistance.

I have used both. IMO the Continental is better. Rolls well, and is very resistant to cuts. After 1000k's, my Vittoria's were full of nicks & cuts and pretty much ready for replacement. On the last Vittoria I had two punctures, on the Continentals none to date, about 1200k's, and they still look good too. For racing, if nicks / cuts and k's travelled between changes are not an issue, mine were pretty much equal in terms of performance (but then I am an amateur, not a boy-racer)

Edited by Falco

thanks guys, much appreciated. sounds like the conti's are the way to go on our roads!

I agree, Conti GP 4000s are far more superior than Vittoria Open Corsa. I had the Corsas and they tend to get surface cuts very quickly. My Conti's are untarnished after many happy miles, but I use them as training tyres, because at 215g they are not the lightest. A good light weight tyre with great grip and protection is Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 (180g).

Thanks Andre, I've heard only good things about the Schwalbe's, but then I suppose that's par for the course - they aren't cheap!