Raleigh Chopper 70's

Bennie Dikwiel

Jeeeepers Bennie, that makes one's infatuation wear out pretty quick.

;)

I think its that expensive because its rusting while they are chroming in seaside dorpies.

Edited by eggsovereasywithteandtoast

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeeeepers Bennie, that makes one's infatuation wear out pretty quick.

;)

I think its that expensive because its rusting while they are chroming in seaside dorpies.

Eiers, then I havn't even started with parts!

Completely missing from the bike are:

Back brake, cable and brake lever.

Left pedal.

Gear selector cover housing & cable.

Front Mudguard

Original Handle grips

Chain Guard.

Tyres also need to be replaced

If you know of anyone with any these spares, please let me know.

• 7 months later...

I have just got this 70's Raleigh Chopper biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif and would like to know if there are other Chopper owners out there that could assist me with information on possible websites/suppliers iro spares for the complete restoration of it.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Did you get Sorted? I found the Exact same purple one in "Oomies" garage. I've started stripping it and now to find spares. Looking for the tyres first

I found these UK Sites

http://www.choppertrader.com

http://www.rcoc.co.uk/

post-14134-0-81840700-1310635714.jpg

• 1 month later...

The designer of the Raleigh Chopper, Alan Oakley passed away last Friday(18/5/2012) in Nottingham. The choppers were Inspired by the movie Easy Rider. After 11 years of sales, 1.5million Choppers were sold, costing a mere £34 in 1970.

post-13006-0-80886900-1337661064.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Bennie. I also managed to bag one of these gems, also from an urban cowboy. He was riding the bike to the vet... The frame of the bike is as solid as ever. I swopped my mountain bike for it, plus a couple of bucks. I also got a R2500 qoute for re-chroming. have decided not to re-chrome, but polish my chroming bits and leave the paint work as is, for authenticity. It seems that all these bikes suffer from left pedal defeciency, as mine lacks a left pedal too. There's an ad on gumtree for the same bike, also lacking a left pedal....price R5,000...wow. I've stripped my bike and will piece together any componets to make it rideable. that is just to "breek" with the bike around Humewood / Summerstrand. If you are still active on this posting, let me know, if you have managed to fins any authentic parts. I think, I will have to redo the gearbox... I hope not. Chopper along...

My dad dropped one of these off for me last year that he found in a old building that he bought on auction. Bike was in a store room in the building. Its got a 5 Spd Sturmey Archer gear lever on the top tube! The best part of it all is that the bike is brand new and spotless. Even the tyres still have the little rubber "pennetjies" on. I don't thing its been ridden more than 5 times. Its a deep red / maroon and all the fenders and chrome looks still very good.

When I get home I'll post some pics on here. The gear lever looks awesome on the split top tube!

Great find dude!

You such a lucky MobileBike Tec. Please post those pics, with some detail. I stripped my bike completely. I'm in the process of polishing the chrome parts and bastardizing others. I'm going to clear coat the frame, for a shine, but also to keep the vintage look. Bugger the re-chroming.

post-45667-0-84188300-1371105511_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chopperatlast

• 1 year later...