Raleigh Chopper 70's

Bennie Dikwiel

My dad would not let me have one, he refused to buy a bicycle that had a front wheel that was smaller than rear wheel cuase I would keep on flipping the bike.

Edited by MTBer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hk het my piss bitter geval op presies die selfde een. lyk asof dit myne kon wees.

I had a blue one, landed on the gear lever once. It still hurts! :blink:

Out of interest - what did the gearlever do?

I remember as a plaaslaaitie changing gears, and nothing really amazing happening.

Mine was blue with red trim.

Very cool, I want... Good luck with the restoration!

How's the stem on that puppy!

Edited by Eraser

Got it from a local PE "Informal settlement resident"

Paid 600 bucks for it - I somehow don't think I over capitalized..... :blush:

I think you have.

Pity, you've bitten off more than you can chew.

You'll take shortcuts and accept that you'll just have to live with some of the things which seem a dead end.

Hell, you may even decide that you prefer patina after some research, but just before you were about to begin.

I doubt you'll finish this.

Send me your banking details for the R600 and I'll send out a courier. That way you can rather take the missus for a lekker fish and chips in the bay.

I think you have.

Pity, you've bitten off more than you can chew.

You'll take shortcuts and accept that you'll just have to live with some of the things which seem a dead end.

Hell, you may even decide that you prefer patina after some research, but just before you were about to begin.

I doubt you'll finish this.

Send me your banking details for the R600 and I'll send out a courier. That way you can rather take the missus for a lekker fish and chips in the bay.

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Toast !

I am absolutely dumbstruck after seeing this site: :o

http://www.choppertrader.com/111%20CHOPPER%20MK2%20NEW%20PAGE.htm

Out of interest - what did the gearlever do?

I remember as a plaaslaaitie changing gears, and nothing really amazing happening.

Mine was blue with red trim.

Apart from the gearlever being a temporary contraceptive device :huh: for laaities showing off, it actually worked! See the attached Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub for the Chopper. Made in the UK, not made in China. No wonder after 40 Years they still work!

post-14134-0-00948500-1310711392.jpg

"No wonder after 40 Years they still work!" ...mine NEVER worked! 1st gear had a nasty habit of slipping usually resulting in bruised shins / nads / knees.

I picked up a chopper EXACTLY like that in the Cape Ads a few years ago for 300 bucks...sold it a while later for a R1000 and used the money for a longboard. A great deal at the time, in retrospect I'm not so sure anymore...

Good luck with shining it up, looks nice and original!

Awesome bike. Reminds me of 3 stitches in my arm..... When your father says DON'T ride your friends chopper bike it's not road worthy, you should listen to him...... Went round the corner, swapped bikes with my mate and took the chopper for a fast ride down the biggest hill in town. They don't handle well with a speed bump halfway down :o

Still have a little bit of stone/tar stuck in my arm to remind me of it........... His bike looked way cooler than my raliegh road bike at the time :clap:

Sjoe Chopper memories !

Tried to "gear down" once thinking i will slow down, went into a wall....took it on the chin...lights out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got this 70's Raleigh Chopper :D :D :D and would like to know if there are other Chopper owners out there that could assist me with information on possible websites/suppliers iro spares for the complete restoration of it.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

post-14134-0-81840700-1310635714.jpg

Hello guy's n gals,

Sorry i haven't been on for a while. Life's been rather busy.

Well Bennie, How lucky are you to own such a rare iconic bike of the 70's. What you have, as you know is a MK2 Raleigh Chopper that rolled out of the "Springs" factory here in South Africa. The South African Raleigh Chopper model range differs from the model range in Great britain. Firstly you have a colour and decals that weren't available in GB. Also the SA MK2 Chopper was fitted with parts that were traditionally fitted to the Raleigh Chopper MK1, like the sissy bar for instance. The crank also differs from the GB market. The crank you see fitted on your SA mk2 is the crank type normally fitted to the Raleigh RSW. Don't worry though most of the parts fitted to yours are correct for a SA Chopper Mk2. I wonder if you've have had a look for a frame number? All the SA bikes i have don't have a frame number stamped. (Nottingham built bikes normally have a frame number stamped at the back of the seat tube towards the top. The number starts with an 'N' If no number, then try the looking on the rear left dropout)) Also if you take a closer look at the wheel rims you'll probably find they're blank. choppers here have 'Sturmey Archer' and a load of numbers stamped on the rim. All in all a great find and i hope your going to restore it to its former glory? If you need any help or advice please feel free to ask.

Top find

Edited by Eros

Bloody hell, what a painful flashback this thread caused - even my 35 year old scar started to ache!

One like that, a long downhill, too much speed, that wobbly little front wheel, a fat black Labrador ...... and I had my first real bike crash! Didn't stop there either......

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to be an expensive exercise.

To have all the chrome bits re-chromed I got 2 quotes here in P.E.

R2450 and R2575!