MTB Cranks

FrancoisO

I want to know, why is MTB Cranks only available in 175mm, why not 172.5? If it is, which brand and where can I get some?

Although not common, most makes supply them. Also try Aerozine. You can set your crank length by simply flipping the ceramic bush. Weight like XTR, cost like XT.

I want to know, why is MTB Cranks only available in 175mm, why not 172.5? If it is, which brand and where can I get some?

Shimano XTR M985 come 172.5. 10 speed setup.

although most are available 170 / 175 / 180

and some at 165

Edited by The Drongo

Shimano XTR M985 come 172.5. 10 speed setup.

although most are available 170 / 175 / 180

and some at 165

So i can buy it then at any shop?

So i can buy it then at any shop?

No, Pick 'n Pay don't stock it and I think Checkers might be out aswell.

The old (9sp) XTR comes in 172.5mm. As for the 2011 10sp XTR, it seems only the Race, not the Trail come in 172.5mm.

Price wise... on CRC

R3600 for 9sp (excl. VAT)

R3400 for 10sp (excl. VAT)

But hey... forgive me for being a DHer/dirt jumper heathen... but seriously... how much difference is 2.5mm gonna make... it's mountainbiking ;)

No, Pick 'n Pay don't stock it and I think Checkers might be out aswell.

ja-ja, I must have seen that coming. Refrase. @ any Bicycle shop

The old (9sp) XTR comes in 172.5mm. As for the 2011 10sp XTR, it seems only the Race, not the Trail come in 172.5mm.

Price wise... on CRC

R3600 for 9sp (excl. VAT)

R3400 for 10sp (excl. VAT)

But hey... forgive me for being a DHer/dirt jumper heathen... but seriously... how much difference is 2.5mm gonna make... it's mountainbiking ;)

I see your point, but I want to upgrade to new groupset. So why not get what you want? Knees are getting old, want to keep them going. :lol:

Before you buy a non standard crank, standard being 175mm go for a bike fiting at a qualified biokineticist, they will tell you if you need non standard cranks for comfort/performance.

I see your point, but I want to upgrade to new groupset. So why not get what you want? Knees are getting old, want to keep them going. :lol:

aaah! and I see yours! I thought you just wanted 172.5's for the sake of having them... if you're upgrading anyway... then it makes sense

durability of a Eat-Sum-More

Mine is 2 years and going strong. No issues. Ceramic bearings great. Replacement chairings well priced and durable too.

I had the Aerozine cranks on my Zula. Loved them but had to change after an insurance claim as the insurance insisted on me replacing the cranks with Nior cranks (I gave then 2 quotes for cranks for comparative reasons). The Nior cranks don't have the bling factor the Aerozine's had, but was probably a better bet.

I tried Aerozine cranks once. Complete rubbish. The first one was crooked. The replacement one bent like a straw. Never heard a good report about them.