Manitou Swinger VS Rock Shox Monarch

wesley_r

Flowta - some research has revealed that length - stroke does not = travel - the linkage system plays a role as well. Commencal themselves confirmed for me that I need a 200x50

Buycycle has the Monarch RT3 high volume in that length for a good price, so I'm going to go for it...

Flowta - some research has revealed that length - stroke does not = travel - the linkage system plays a role as well. Commencal themselves confirmed for me that I need a 200x50

Buycycle has the Monarch RT3 high volume in that length for a good price, so I'm going to go for it...

I never said it did.

I never said it did.

aaah, I misunderstood your post :thumbup:

I am convinced it's making a difference though. Even CptMayhem, who rode my bike, commented that he was clipping the pedals - this with the shock set at 20% sag (not Commencal's recommended 25%) and with him weighing 10kg less than me.

To confirm Wes's statements... While i was riding his bike, the pedals were clipping the starting ramp's ramp at the top, on s bike with the same size cranks as mine, the same size pedals as mine and with a helluva high air setting for my weight. I would be surprised to see if I had even made it sag to 15%, let alone 20%.

The bike itself has a much higher bb than mine (floor to bb measurement) and yet my pedals were clear of the starting gate even at 6 o clock.

I would imagine that the extra 10mm on shock length would make a huge difference in not only performance, but clearance as well.

To confirm Wes's statements... While i was riding his bike, the pedals were clipping the starting ramp's ramp at the top, on s bike with the same size cranks as mine, the same size pedals as mine and with a helluva high air setting for my weight. I would be surprised to see if I had even made it sag to 15%, let alone 20%.

The bike itself has a much higher bb than mine (floor to bb measurement) and yet my pedals were clear of the starting gate even at 6 o clock.

I would imagine that the extra 10mm on shock length would make a huge difference in not only performance, but clearance as well.

If he is just sitting on the bike then the problem is the maximum length of the shock (ie 190 vs 200)

The scenario I asked about was whether he had problems with things(ie moving bits on the bike hitting each other).

He had a 190 x 50 and was pointed in the direction of the 200 x 63 this would have a compressed length with a difference of 3mm.

BTW, glad you got a shock sorted.

Obviously the shock with the spec that the bike was designed for was best.

Was just trying to help out.

If he is just sitting on the bike then the problem is the maximum length of the shock (ie 190 vs 200)

The scenario I asked about was whether he had problems with things(ie moving bits on the bike hitting each other).

He had a 190 x 50 and was pointed in the direction of the 200 x 63 this would have a compressed length with a difference of 3mm.

Absolutely... The only thing that would have been wrong with having a shock with a shorter stroke is that the total travel of the bike itself would have been less than intended, nothing else (unless the max size was diff to that which was specified, which is the case here)

Absolutely... The only thing that would have been wrong with having a shock with a shorter stroke is that the total travel of the bike itself would have been less than intended, nothing else (unless the max size was diff to that which was specified, which is the case here)

That is what I was saying, the bike is specced for a 200 x 50.

The 200 x 63 was going for R600 which would have given him more travel but at a risk of interference within the suspension design, hence the comparison between the 190 x 50 that is on now.

I think we are kinda on the same page here

That is what I was saying, the bike is specced for a 200 x 50.

The 200 x 63 was going for R600 which would have given him more travel but at a risk of interference within the suspension design, hence the comparison between the 190 x 50 that is on now.

I think we are kinda on the same page here

yes indeedy, we are...

• 3 weeks later...

by the way, with the new shock in the BB is now roughly 1.8cm higher (rough measurements) :thumbup:

and it's o so plushy