protection of information

cat-i

I do very few races nowadays. Partially because of the really stupid entry systems that i sometimes encounter.

So twice a year when i want to access the entry sites, i've forgotten the password that i set up almost a year ago.

94.7's site put me in a loop with 'this is not working, try that' and then 'that is not working, try this'. Eventually after 7 emails to and fro between the web designers and myself, i had the password reset, then reset again, and then the ID number was broken, but 3 days later I was in and could enter, yaaaaay.

Now with the argus website, there's no place at all to request a password reset or reminder. There is a message that tell me to press a (non-existing) button if i need to reset the password. So i email the website people ... who then promptly totally removed the password. So now, with an ID number and a name, you can go in and change whatever details you like. and get my residential address, medical aid details, phone number, family's phone number, shoe size, whatever. I have requested a password, but no response.

1. This is the umpteenth time this happened (information with no security on entry sites). Do other people just not complain? Or do they complain, but the webmasters just don't care?

2. Is there any law in South Africa that would protect me from this type of information about me lying around for anyone to see? Is there any way to get them to put proper security in place?

3. With entry fees 'starting' at R300, why can't they afford someone with some experience, some education & a little common sense to build the website? Or just to test it?

there. I feel better already.

Finally got a reply.

The are not going to put the password back on, it will be phased out and security will be through facebook. and until then, there will be no security whatsoever.

Is this legal?

Guest agteros

Not sure which option is worse.... Facebook Connect, or no security :(

There is a bill called the Protection of Personal Information Bill which will require private bodies (such as race organisers) to protect personal information that peopls submit to it for "processing" (the bill's words

). Unfortunately, this piece of legislation has not been passed into law as yet.

There is a bill called the Protection of Personal Information Bill which will require private bodies (such as race organisers) to protect personal information that peopls submit to it for "processing" (the bill's words

). Unfortunately, this piece of legislation has not been passed into law as yet.

so there's nothing i can do, if i want to ride this race, i'll have to accept that they splash my info all over the place and that anyone can edit it, that's it?

heard back from the office today:

<quote>

Facebook is going to be the only security option in future. If you are concerned about your personal information, then you will have to set up a Facebook account and link it to your profile.

</quote>