Who watched the "Marathon Des Sables" on TV...

GrumpyOldGuy

I have done the the Augrabies Marathon,that covers 250km over 7 days in the Kalahari.That was very very hard but compared to the Marathon Des Sables it's a walk in the park.

I have been saving and i should have my entry fee to do this in about 2016.

Would love to watch this...hope they show it again. Will have to check the schedule, I take it they showed it on SS?

Yeah, you gotta watch it, its not on SS though, its on Discovery channel on Tuesday nights at 8pm with repeats on Sunday evening I think, just look on the Discovery channel schedule for the shows with James Cracknell, it will be called "THE TOUGHEST RACE ON EARTH" with James Cracknell.

He also has one called "The Coldest Race on Earth" where he cycles across the Yukon Peninsula about 760kms in 7 days in minus 40 to minus 60 degrees weather, you also carry everything with you and him and his kit weighed 150kgs.

About 250 people start annually but only about 10 people have ever finished this race,....ever.! :unsure:

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

That guy James Cracknell is just a remarkable athlete isn't he?, mental strength like no other I have seen.

He is a mullet :)

@ Tuna, it's quite normal for me, I don't take any fluid on my 10 k. runs with me.

I have done the the Augrabies Marathon,that covers 250km over 7 days in the Kalahari.That was very very hard but compared to the Marathon Des Sables it's a walk in the park.

I dont know the Augrabies marathon, but yeah, any race in that heat and dust must be tough, are you considering doing the Marathon Des Sables.?

I dont know the Augrabies marathon, but yeah, any race in that heat and dust must be tough, are you considering doing the Marathon Des Sables.?

I am wanting to do it in 2016.I had a entry in 2003 but my sponsor pulled out a few months before.

What year did you do the KAEM?

I am wanting to do it in 2016.I had a entry in 2003 but my sponsor pulled out a few months before.

Phew, hectic man. Although I reckon that is a once in a lifetime experience, probably because you will never want to do it again. :lol:

...but No, Just kidding, I love extreme endurance events, I suck at them personally but I try, I always end up saying that was crazy I will never be back, but next time I am.! Just dof I guess.! :)

I have never done, or even thought of doing something like the MDS, I have done a number of Comrades, and I have run regular marathons all over the world, but I just dont think I am strong enough mentally or physically for something like this.

I watched both the MDS and the "Coldest Race" , Cracknell is able to drive himself way way past the point where us mere mortals would have given up. A bit of a nutter, but inspiring. Disc W has similar programs lined up for 20:00 on Tuesdays