Dizzyness During Training

P.A.K.

So on my MTB ride this morning I felt extremely dizzy after a bit of a climb. Had to stop and sit down for a few minutes. Needless to say, I was toast for the rest of my ride, and felt similar once again.

The ride was less than 1hour. I must admit I'm still unfit. But I had similar rides previously with much more energy.

I had some toast and an apple for breakfast, and went on the ride 20min later. I don't use energy drink or boosters at the moment (trying to loose a few KG's).

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Do you suffer from Hypertension? i take meds for hypertension and i find if i take my mootie before a ride my BP drops too low

Do you suffer from Hypertension? i take meds for hypertension and i find if i take my mootie before a ride my BP drops too low

I don't suffer from high blood pleasure (that I know of). I'm only 23 years old :P And I'm not on any meds

The apple is low gi and most prob. your bread was too. 20min after that low gi breakfast, the carbs absorption would have been very little. And as soon as you start to get hypo from too little carbs, you'll be chasing your tail, so to speak, the rest of the ride. Eat more carbs before you go ride, dont know your weight, but 50g 1 hour before the ride is a good start. Top up the glucose stores with a energy drink while you ride. If the ride is less that 1hr stick to water only, if more than 1hr, top up. No use in depriving yourself from carbs before a ride, and then riding like crap. You'll see better results if you eat correct and ride harder.

But just for safety, let your gp give you a check over.

good luck

Edited by crankbrother

The apple is low gi and most prob. your bread was too. 20min after that low gi breakfast, the carbs absorption would have been very little. And as soon as you start to get hypo from too little carbs, you'll be chasing your tail, so to speak, the rest of the ride. Eat more carbs before you go ride, dont know your weight, but 50g 1 hour before the ride is a good start. Top up the glucose stores with a energy drink while you ride. If the ride is less that 1hr stick to water only, if more than 1hr, top up. No use in depriving yourself from carbs before a ride, and then riding like crap. You'll see better results if you eat correct and ride harder.

But just for safety, let your gp give you a check over.

good luck

The apple is not a great food pre training, its a stone fruit really hard to digest and before ride aint a good idea. The toast is fine, I can eat a slice of toast and go out for 3 hours no problem. Your own glycogen stores will see u for 90-120minutes so this does not sound like a case of fuelling. There is no problem with eating a low GI meal before training in actual fact its recommended, unlike what was said above the carbohydrate digestion begins immediately just over a longer period of time so smaller amounts of glucose are released into the system, and anyway your glycogen stores are there to provide u in the mean time.

It sounds as if u might actually have a bug, the dizziness is not a sign of glycogen depletion or lack of energy, usually that comes with total fatigue and absolute hunger, did u feel hungry at any point.

Let me know if there were any other symptoms. Its really possible you are not well, and yet went out, your body did not like it one bit. How were u feeling within the hours after your ride? and how u feeling now?

Sometimes people wake up, they are not 100% yet ignore the signs and go out on a training session only to feel terrible down the line. Keep me posted

all the best

M

Its abit of a long shot, but do you smoke Hubbly? I find if I smoke a hub or two the night before a ride it sets in(sonmetimes paired with a cold wind)....

But since I've got fitter its dissapeared...?

The apple is not a great food pre training, its a stone fruit really hard to digest and before ride aint a good idea. The toast is fine, I can eat a slice of toast and go out for 3 hours no problem. Your own glycogen stores will see u for 90-120minutes so this does not sound like a case of fuelling. There is no problem with eating a low GI meal before training in actual fact its recommended, unlike what was said above the carbohydrate digestion begins immediately just over a longer period of time so smaller amounts of glucose are released into the system, and anyway your glycogen stores are there to provide u in the mean time.

It sounds as if u might actually have a bug, the dizziness is not a sign of glycogen depletion or lack of energy, usually that comes with total fatigue and absolute hunger, did u feel hungry at any point.

Let me know if there were any other symptoms. Its really possible you are not well, and yet went out, your body did not like it one bit. How were u feeling within the hours after your ride? and how u feeling now?

Sometimes people wake up, they are not 100% yet ignore the signs and go out on a training session only to feel terrible down the line. Keep me posted

all the best

M

Thanks for the info. I did actually not feel all to well for the rest of the day, with that light head you sometimes get when you stand up quickly. I did not feel hungry at any point during the ride

Its abit of a long shot, but do you smoke Hubbly? I find if I smoke a hub or two the night before a ride it sets in(sonmetimes paired with a cold wind)....

But since I've got fitter its dissapeared...?

Long shot or not, you're right. I like smoking some hub occasionally, and did smoke some hub the previous night. Maybe that could've weekend my system too? Guess I'll stop doing that for a while! Edited by P.A.K.

Thanks for the info. I did actually not feel all to well for the rest of the day, with that light head you sometimes get when you stand up quickly. I did not feel hungry at any point during the ride

Long shot or not, you're right. I like smoking some hub occasionally, and did smoke some hub the previous night. Maybe that could've weekend my system too? Guess I'll stop doing that for a while!

Well I did the exact similar ride this afternoon and felt much better. My system must have been a bit "off" on Saturday...