Discount, eish

wesley_r

I know asking for discount is a contentious issue. I know bike shops need to feed their families too. I know that some people believe that discount is earned with years of loyalty to one shop. I know others believe a discount is a right.

All I know is this - I will ask for discount, especially when I'm buying a R600 tyre and am paying you for fitment as well. And if you don't give me discount, that's fine too - at least I asked.

BUT please treat me with courtesy. The exact response I received this morning was "discount!?" from one sales person, who then turned to the next sales person who looked like he was about to burst out laughing. He then proceeded to tell me how awesome the tyre was. They never said "no" outright, they just treated me with such contempt for daring to pose the question that their answer was clear.

Appropriate responses to a customer asking for discount:

"But of course!"

"Let's see if we can work something out..."

"I'll chat to the manager and see if it's possible"

"Sorry, can't give you discount on this item, but we'll fit it for free!"

Or simply:

"Sorry, we can't give you discount on this item"

But please, don't treat me like an A-hole for asking for a simple discount. If they weren't the only people near me with that tyre, and I wasn't so desperate for it, I would have walked away. I'm notoriously impatient :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are easily prostituted, even though your explanation and rethoric is long winded, nobody can be THAT desperate, neither can tyres be THAT difficult to find.

I know asking for discount is a contentious issue. I know bike shops need to feed their families too. I know that some people believe that discount is earned with years of loyalty to one shop. I know others believe a discount is a right.

All I know is this - I will ask for discount, especially when I'm buying a R600 tyre and am paying you for fitment as well. And if you don't give me discount, that's fine too - at least I asked.

BUT please treat me with courtesy. The exact response I received this morning was "discount!?" from one sales person, who then turned to the next sales person who looked like he was about to burst out laughing. He then proceeded to tell me how awesome the tyre was. They never said "no" outright, they just treated me with such contempt for daring to pose the question that their answer was clear.

Appropriate responses to a customer asking for discount:

"But of course!"

"Let's see if we can work something out..."

"I'll chat to the manager and see if it's possible"

"Sorry, can't give you discount on this item, but we'll fit it for free!"

Or simply:

"Sorry, we can't give you discount on this item"

But please, don't treat me like an A-hole for asking for a simple discount. If they weren't the only people near me with that tyre, and I wasn't so desperate for it, I would have walked away. I'm notoriously impatient :)

Vote with your wallet and leave, I also would have told them where to shove there tyre as well.

Vote with your wallet and leave, I also would have told them where to shove there tyre as well.

agreed - would have told the salesman exactly where to put their tyre!! But if you need it extramely urgent you obviously couldnt but really then why leave it to the last minute? Surely you could have bought one online for prob much cheaper and salesman **** hassle free?

To respond to all of your comments:

1. yes my story was long winded. I needed to blow off a lot of steam. Ask me for discount and perhaps I'll cut 5% of my words :thumbup:

2. no, I won't "name and shame". Not unless I've sent management of said shop an email first

3. yes, I left it to the last minute, hence my desperation. Had a very busy time at work and ideally should have done this all last week. That's how it goes sometimes.

4. I was never asked how I was going to pay. Could have paid cash if credit was an issue.

:thumbup:

Do you also ask for discount on grocery items at Spar or shoprite?

I'm asking, cause it's unclear if the rant is due to the lack of discount, or the perceived slight you received?

I'm asking, cause it's unclear if the rant is due to the lack of discount, or the perceived slight you received?

The attitude is what got to me, hence:

And if you don't give me discount, that's fine too - at least I asked.

BUT please treat me with courtesy.

The attitude is what got to me, hence:

Then you really should be calling your fred: Rude salesperson, or some such :unsure:

Do you also ask for discount on grocery items at Spar or shoprite?

Yes I have "club" and "loyalty" cards or the like from all these grocery shops. I suppose that takes the drudgery out of asking for discount.