Route from S Suburbs into Cape Town

georgev

where are you coming from?

i found the best is to use albert road through woodstock and just chill out when it's busy. just assume the worst and keep an eye out on every vehicle for this section.

fold up bike, where d'ya get that from? trains are full only a small protion of the time, and there's always space for more!

Got a nifty Giant Halfway over at Olympic cycles in Landsdowne Rd - I find it's most usefull when I travel by plane, just check it into oversize and have something to cruise around with on the other side. I sometimes catch the train home from Obs and at rush hour it can be a dogshow trying to get on. The rest of the time train/folder bike commuting is actually very easy.

Thanks for all the info guys. I been cruising google maps and have finally answered my own question and tested what I recon is the safest and flattest way into town though its MTB only and from the top of Kenilworth to the Mayors office takes 35 to 40 odd minutes. There is unfortunately a lot of rule breaking on this route but I still figure its safer than hanging around in the traffic. Take a look and let me know what you think. http://maps.google.co.za/maps/ms?msid=215290583496162019597.0004b04722a41c2417681&msa=0&ll=-33.96899,18.452568&spn=0.095243,0.105743

Eish! It's complicated, but it seems to work. Certainly the back bit through Obs is the one I use too, over the "secret" bridge. Otherwise, I've never found the main roads that bad ... but then, I am a roadie and you're one of those tree-huggers on a soft bike with springs and shocks and other girly bits.

Eish! It's complicated, but it seems to work. Certainly the back bit through Obs is the one I use too, over the "secret" bridge. Otherwise, I've never found the main roads that bad ... but then, I am a roadie and you're one of those tree-huggers on a soft bike with springs and shocks and other girly bits.

I guess you guys have a point here, bombed down Main Rd, Palmyra, Liesbeek Parkway, Albert Rd and finished off on the IRT cycle track today. 25 min from my doorstep to the station and 30 min to the Waterfront. No way I can do that in a car at 07h30 am. It also makes sense to bike in heavier traffic as the cars are moving slowly. Only problem now is the pollution. I recon if there was an uninterrupted cycle track all the way down the railway line we would beat the trains and all the traffic easily.