Frame courier Cost?

Ox_Wagon

Anybody have an idee how much it will cost to courier a frame from CapeTown to JHB?

Just shows you how carefull you have to be about word choice. Wink

Thanks for the helpfull info guys Big%20smile
Ox_Wagon2007-12-11 03:56:42

word verskeep tot by oranje rivier, dan met rubber ducks deur oranje en vaal rivier tot by vaaldam se hawe Big%20smile

I recently got prices and my 56cm frame was quoted as 400 - 450 through all the popular places. DHL quoted 2000

Phone DHL on 0860345000

Provide them with the size, weight of parcel and a few other requirements and they will give you a quote to courier the package to the required destination.  You can also include insurance.

Regards,

Kinnie

Wow that is steep!Ouch

Which companies did you contact? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I recently got prices and my 56cm frame was quoted as 400 - 450 through all the popular places. DHL quoted 2000

Use UTI. I never pay more than R200. For a complete bike.

Use UTI. I never pay more than R200. For a complete bike.

Yes, couriers like UTI and Time freight are probably your best option, but if you are a private individual and not a business with an account in their books (ie) you are really a once off customer to them) they will quote differantly (read higher) to a regular business client.

DHL is a very expensive courier as their strength is speed of delivery, usually overnight, normal forwarders send via a consolodation system and it could take 2-3 days, expect to pay roughly R300.00 with a courier like UTI / TIME FREIGHT / SHENKER  and the like.   

If I was the supplier of the frame I would offer to take it to the cargo part of the airport and you could collect it the nect day in JHB total without insurance about R140.00. Normal parcel post at post office about 5 day delivery or less no insurance also very cheap as they only use weight R50.00 if that!!!

i have once sent 2 frames together from richards bay to saldanha through the post office (and received my 1st daccordi back from the recipient the same way). mine cost me r80 including insurance, the other was r50 or r60.

both ways took 5 working days each.

approximate postage through the post office = r25 for the first kg, r3 for each subsequent kg. insurance local is 2% of the value(but sometimes 1%).

i think the parcel weighed 12 kgs ( i packed it very well, with dropout spacers, sponge, cardboard, lots of masking tape) which would have brought the postage to about r60 (25+3*11) with r20 insurance (2% of 1000)

you can track the parcel through sapo website

hope it helps
lowracer2007-12-11 11:44:29

the frames i sent was 61 or 62 cms. it was a big box. normal couriers charge by size, except if it is very heavy, then they will charge by weight. you will pay the more expensive one of the 2