GLuvsMtb

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From boys I have spoken to that have done both...the pioneer wins

Wish I had the balls, zars and training time to do either

The problem with the Pioneer Trek is, the sticker just doesn't look as cool on your top tube.

TRUE, I still got my 2011 epic sticker on my Zula and a few months ago was doing a little XC race here in Switz and while i was busy at the late entries table saw some dudes inspecting my Zula (not to many of them here) and when they saw the epic sticker they pointed fingers at it, raised their eyebrows and nodded their heads....

Edited by SwissVan

"when they saw the epic sticker they pointed fingers at it, raised their eyebrows and nodded their heads.... "

i saw that. i was there. cause in the supper tent that night we overheard them say.. "ziez bludy souf efricans print zee stickers from za internet zen zey plak it on zere bikes." aus holes

TRUE, I still got my 2011 epic sticker on my Zula and a few months ago was doing a little XC race here in Switz and while i was busy at the late entries table saw some dudes inspecting my Zula (not to many of them here) and when they saw the epic sticker they pointed fingers at it, raised their eyebrows and nodded their heads....

Do you think the new logo (and therefor new sticker) would get the same recognition? Not too fond of the new logo myself.

You left out the prologue!!

While the prologue brings the cost per day down, it also dilutes the averages on the kms, ascent etc.

For about 1000 of the 1200 riders the prologue is simply an opportunity to check the bike and warm the legs up. If I add the prologue the Pioneer would be much tougher on paper than the Epic.

Its difficult to compare apples with apples, but by adding the prologue the comparason becomes scewed.

The problem with the Pioneer Trek is, the sticker just doesn't look as cool on your top tube.

I'm also not one to keep the sticker on after the event. It feels like I'm windgat about it. Besides: You don't need to complete the race to get the sticker. You simply have to enter.

Can we compare cars in that way to, cost per kilometer, then we will al be driving VW Golfies

I'd be driving a VW Golf it it outperforms my Audi any day. Please let me know where I can buy one of those.

Besides: You'd be an idiot to argue on value for money here. There is clearly only one winner. The question is: which is T-O-U-G-H-E-R.

Hopefully this post can make page 2 before it gets hijacked by the value argument.

Edited by MorewoodMad

Ok, fair enough!!!, The tougher question does make the argument different, but the you should't have added the price per kilometer :rolleyes:

I haven't done either, but for some weird reason it feels that the Pioneer is tougher, not sure why, if I read what the guys say and the comments on the blogs and twitter etc, it sounds like the Cape Pioneer might be tougher.

But then again, only a fool can really say that the Epic is "easy" I mean, if you listened to the guys speak after the stage to Worcester last year, I mean, that sounded really tough and the 147km Stage 3 in 2012 sounds like murder, but like Sauser said last night on SuperCycling, it all depends on the surface, if it is rocky and sandy, then sure, it'll be a nightmare to say the least, but if it is open gravel roads, then it is a completely different animal.

Anybody out there that did both?

not all kilometers are created equal.

not that i've done either race, but katot's offroad routes appear to make dr evil's tracks a bike lane.

Have finished both the Epic and the Pioneer this year. Pioneer wins on toughness, social interaction after the Stage and atmosphere. The field this year was small, but of a very high standard.

Epic has the street cred,global recognition and gets you more bragging rights.

Only thing I wish these races would realise that it is not all about the toughest,the longest,the highest.....Look at Sani, not the toughest route, but nobody moans about that and it's got a waiting list.

Even Kevin Evans said that he prefers Pioneer because it is a more convivial atmosphere, where pro's and amateurs can chat over a beer or glass of wine.

Good on the Pioneer to offer a Solo category, hope the Epic does the same.