Cape Epic 2012 vs Cape Pioneer Trek

GLuvsMtb

These comparisons so bore me... What are we trying to proove? "The one I did was harder than the one you did?" Who cares? (maybe your mother)

I think your last race is always the hardest one. (Because your brain still remembers the pain)

They all good events. Just ride the bike.

(and I have done both)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These comparisons so bore me... What are we trying to proove? "The one I did was harder than the one you did?" Who cares? (maybe your mother)

I think your last race is always the hardest one. (Because your brain still remembers the pain)

They all good events. Just ride the bike.

(and I have done both)

Could be said for about any discussion on the hub, so if you don't want to provide constructive input, then don't provide any input.

I feel that you can only compare costs/difficulty/etc if you ride both, as both races are great but also different for everyone. It depends what YOU want out of your race. The answer is different for everyone, and opinions will always vary. Us South Africans are so spoilt at the quality of races, internationals are blown away at Sani, JoBerg2c, Pioneer, Epic etc etc etc... we are really spoilt to live in such a wonderful place.

I heard that when Kevin proposed the idea to cycling people in SA in 2003, they laughed at him and told him it was stupid and impossible... but he still made it happen. Now we have so many races at such a high level, so I think he deserves a bit more credit than riders who complain about the price, only becasue they cant afford to do it themselves. It's far too easy to complain, these races are luxury items and not necessary to "survive" in the world, so you either choose to do it, or you dont. It's not like you are being forced into it.

Some general chirps:

I DID ONE EPIC 2011 AND A GREAT experience , but will not do it again because the experience is all consuming and very expensive , you can have a good luxury overseas trip for the same money. While there are people willing to pay the price this will not change, lots are doing very well out of arranging events and good for them , it's also doing wonders for the sport. Aparently the pioneer was tough but very nice vibe without the media hype about testosterone issues and no cut offs.Lekker.

I also did the Jhb 2.c which was great , but the last 3 days ( the sani route) is great single track if you like manicured routes ( not really the real thing). No more high priced stage races for me when there is so much to do close to home in the CApe at a fraction of the cost to body and pocket.

Only one thing needs to be taken out of the races and that is cut off times and some heavily pre-madonna officials who take the light hearted fun out of the game. Try road races where funs is out and only rule are in. YUk YUk Yuk ,

At a resent rode ride I took a leak miles from everyone in the bush and an overzealous lady marshall followed me and after a quick inspection over my shoulder declared that I was disqualified for urinating in public. Quiet a joke and I'm still trying to work out from what I am disquailified. ( maybe an inadequate appendage?.

Happy two wheel addict.

Man Dis als lekker!

I cant wait to ride the Cape Pioneer next year! and its very true, if you have the skille, do it all!! Stop complaining about the cost, its supply and demand, rather focus on becoming a better rider every week! I rode all on my lonesome all the loops at Bottelary and then all those tracks at Tygerberg hills over the weekend! Wow what a privilege! :clap: for something like R500 you can join them for a year!! We are truly blessed with all the riding available, get some mates and book the house from Deon Malherbe at Eselsfontein and ride that singletrack the whole weekend, mornings and afternoons until you bliksem off the bike cause its so good!! Epic is awsome but hell, you can do a hell of a lot of similar riding if you really wanted to, at a fraction of the cost.

• 3 months later...

From recent newsletter it would appear that they are going to make 2012 Pioneer easier.....

Time in saddle to be no more that 6 hours per day for "average rider" is what it says.

Some oaks complained that it's to hard !! The problem is the definition of "average"

I thought I was about average until I spent 9 hrs plus on 135 km's from Mosselbay to George during last years Pioneer. That was much tougher than any stage I have done in the 2 Epic's I have completed.

The question is whom is it pitched at ?

Some "easier rides" are over subscribed but numbers in Pioneer have been on the decline.

Suspect that's why is will be "easier" in 2012.

Think they need tp pitch it at the "weekend warriors" that have 8 to 5 jobs, train at 04:30 before work and have to pay their own entry fees.

Both are awesome events !!!

• 6 months later...