SANI2C Tyres

Funrider-CPT

Hi

we managed to get entry to new Sani2C trail for next year but have never done multi stage ride or ridden in KZN. I know there are many posts on tyre choices but any good/bad choices for this ride? I only use Crossmarks at the moment but during wet rides, these become slicks and I understand Sani has a fair amount of water.

thanks

Crossmarks of a Conti Mountain King/Race King combo will be perfect. Sani doesnt have a lot of water. Just a few bridges. You want something that can climb (ie has the right amount of traction for rocky climbs with a bit of loose junk), dont worry about anything else.

Ride with what you know / are comfortable with.

If you manage in the Cape (Jonkershoek / Tokai / Botlary Hills) with Crossmarks you should definately be fine during Sani2C. I prefer something more agressive on the front (look at the GEAX Saguaro, fast but very grippy when cornering).

If you end up having a wet day, you are no better off with wet weather tyres, unless you manage to start in "A" or "B". Better suited tyres won't get you past everyone else in the single track but will slow you down on the gravel.

Crossmarks of a Conti Mountain King/Race King combo will be perfect. Sani doesnt have a lot of water. Just a few bridges. You want something that can climb (ie has the right amount of traction for rocky climbs with a bit of loose junk), dont worry about anything else.

+1

I did the Conti combo and it was great.

Crossmark/Monorails will work well too.

Its supposed to be much drier in May than in March.

Have 2 tyre options (one dry, one wet), check forecast day before you travel down, fit most appropriate tyre set. If it rains & muddy you want narrow tyres (1.9") with big spaces so you can still ride while the 2.2" chaps are swearing & throwing their bikes into the sugar cane fields (yip, seen that more than once).

Plan for mud. This year we had a lot of rain the day before, lots of mud on day 1. I had 2.2 Race Kings on, they were not great. I won't say that I could not ride, but there are lots of fast twisty singletrack and having a front tyre that did not handle so well took a little bit of fun out of it.

I will be ready with a plan for mud next year.