Cricket......

E1A104

Looking bleak...

Indeed... i fear that chasing anything about 200 on this wicket is going to be a bridge too far. Villas may not get an extended run if he fails in the second innings.

My 11 for the next game:

1. Elgar

2. van Zyl

3. du Plessis

4. Amla

5. Bavuma

6. AB (wk)

7. JP

8. Steyn

9. Harmer

10. Morkel

11. Tahir

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed... i fear that chasing anything about 200 on this wicket is going to be a bridge too far. Villas may not get an extended run if he fails in the second innings.

My 11 for the next game:

1. Elgar

2. van Zyl

3. du Plessis

4. Amla

5. Bavuma

6. AB (wk)

7. JP

8. Steyn

9. Harmer

10. Morkel

11. Tahir

I like!!

Yup, unless there's some miraculous change in this wicket batting last is gonna be a STRUGGLE :nuke:

I know our fellow hubber droenn will be stoked with the state of affairs at the Gabba. Big brother being a big bully? Perhaps but the Kiwis have a decent chance to fight back through their quicks with both bat and ball.

i think they will happy to avoid the follow on.

My 11 for the next game:

1. Elgar

2. van Zyl

3. du Plessis

4. Amla

5. Bavuma

6. AB (wk)

7. JP

8. Steyn

9. Harmer

10. Morkel

11. Tahir

i think they will be happier with vilas(wk) + AB than bavuma + AB(wk).

2 quicks is the bare minimum we would go with - but KG will go before VP for sure., JP brings in another spin option, anything rom Elgar will always be a bonus - piedt could still come in the picture somehow.

i think they will happy to avoid the follow on.

Williamson is key to that though. If he can hang in there and the others can support him it's possible they can. If Aus gets Kane early tomorrow it'll wind up heading towards an innings rout. It ain't called the Gabbatior for nothing.

My 11 for the next game:

1. Elgar

2. van Zyl

3. du Plessis

4. Amla

5. Bavuma

6. AB (wk)

7. JP

8. Steyn

9. Harmer

10. Morkel

11. Tahir

That would be unkind toward Vilas. He hasn't had much opportunity to get used to conditions and this pitch is far below acceptable international standards for Asian pitches. Vilas is a fine player and deserves a proper chance at cementing his position. May I remind you that so far Van Zyl has also failed and should be dropped if he doesn't make a score. We know Van Zyl can play at this level because he has been given a chance to establish himself. Surely Vilas deserves the same?

That would be unkind toward Vilas. He hasn't had much opportunity to get used to conditions and this pitch is far below acceptable international standards for Asian pitches. Vilas is a fine player and deserves a proper chance at cementing his position. May I remind you that so far Van Zyl has also failed and should be dropped if he doesn't make a score. We know Van Zyl can play at this level because he has been given a chance to establish himself. Surely Vilas deserves the same?

If we had another opener there I'd give him a run ahead of van Zyl as well. Villas looked out of sorts. I'd have QdK at 6 and behind the stumps if I had my way.

If we had another opener there I'd give him a run ahead of van Zyl as well. Villas looked out of sorts. I'd have QdK at 6 and behind the stumps if I had my way.

I would hate to be a player on a team you're the chief selector for. One average performance and dropped you are. That is something that hinders players from performing rather than helping. Team results also tend to suffer because of it.

This is Vilas' second test. He has had one match in preparation for this test on what I would assume was a better pitch than this abomination. Even Gilchrist struggled in India and he was streets better than most. You aren't allowing for the fact that Vilas (and Van Zyl) is having to learn to swim by being thrown in the deep end. You can't expect Boucher-like ability without allowing for a proper period of assessment.

Much the same goes for Van Zyl. He is a better batsman than what we saw yesterday. He will have learned from that and will improve. Remember that opening batsman usually only get to play spinners later on in their innings and not very early on. Van Zyl is able to make amends, it just might not be in this match and again allowance must be made for a period of proper assessment.

I don't think they'll drop Vilas for bavuma. i know it's just stats, but they've both played about 80 FC games, Vilas averages just above 40, bavuma just below. Vilas has 20 centuries to bavuma's 19. and vilas has had to come down the order and keep as well. 

was hoping our spinners could get some way into the indian lineup, but you got to remember they have world class spinners and batsmen who play spin a lot more.

We're really missing steyn hear...going to be a damn interesting series.

Oh sh*t....

dit raak erger.

good attacking approach...these are damn good spinners here on their ideal conditions, we can't just sit back and hope.

massive test for our batting, 200 likes miles away with # and AB already in the hut.

Don't fear when AB is near....

Elgar had been impressive

Faf will wanna forget this match _ 0 and 1

Stiaan being protected