Bike for Sani2C Adv

dirtcrazy

Hi guys - i did the sani this year on my Giant Trance 2 - i ride almost everyday and lost about 15kg. The problem i have with my Trance is the sit position, as i really feel like im sitting "into" the bike, Harley move! I like to sit up and always move forward on the seat when i climb. I do alot of trail riding - bottelary trails and durbanville trails. I have alot of hassles with my gears, probably becuase i ride alot!? Now the question, i would like to buy a bike for the sani in January - my weight is 94kg and my budget is R20 000 ... The guy at cyclab said i must look at 29er - but doesnt it make climbing even worse? I love merida bikes - what would you guys buy if it was your decision?

PLEASE HELP! thank you!!

Hi guys - i did the sani this year on my Giant Trance 2 - i ride almost everyday and lost about 15kg. The problem i have with my Trance is the sit position, as i really feel like im sitting "into" the bike, Harley move! I like to sit up and always move forward on the seat when i climb. I do alot of trail riding - bottelary trails and durbanville trails. I have alot of hassles with my gears, probably becuase i ride alot!? Now the question, i would like to buy a bike for the sani in January - my weight is 94kg and my budget is R20 000 ... The guy at cyclab said i must look at 29er - but doesnt it make climbing even worse? I love merida bikes - what would you guys buy if it was your decision?

PLEASE HELP! thank you!!

What about looking at getting just a new frame and upgrade the gears, then move the rest of your components over, something like a Morewood or Santa Cruz

Don't buy a bike for an event, Buy the bike you want...

Thats pretty sound advice :thumbup: Maybe take a 29er out for a spin if possible

Don't buy a bike for an event, Buy the bike you want...

hi, no im not buying the bike for the event just that im doing the same rides as the sani " the terain" - my question is, what would you guys buy with R20 000?

hi, no im not buying the bike for the event just that im doing the same rides as the sani " the terain" - my question is, what would you guys buy with R20 000?

Ek weet nie of dit so goeie koop was,maar ek het n 2012 Scott Spark 40 gekoop.Ek het die brieke laat upgrade na shimano xt en die tyres verander na tubeless en n ekstra bottelcage agter op my seatpost laat sit alles vir R20 000.Baie happy met die fiets.

if you are a weekend warrior, go for a dual susp. the added comfort makes a stage race much more enjoyable. 29ers, hardtails, better for single marathons imo.

I also had the Trance 2 and upgraded last year to a Morewood Zula.

I did the Adventure this year and loved every minute of it, the bike was awesome handled like a dream.

Personally I have not intention of going the 29er route.

My wife sold her Trance X3 a few months back and has also upgraded to a Zula.

We are both doing SANI next year.

Admittedly I am a huge Morewood fan, currently on my third bike, having said that, I would suggest that you try and test the bikes you are interested in, make a short list and then decide.

Good luck, and enjoy

I also had the Trance 2 and upgraded last year to a Morewood Zula.

I did the Adventure this year and loved every minute of it, the bike was awesome handled like a dream.

Personally I have not intention of going the 29er route.

My wife sold her Trance X3 a few months back and has also upgraded to a Zula.

We are both doing SANI next year.

Admittedly I am a huge Morewood fan, currently on my third bike, having said that, I would suggest that you try and test the bikes you are interested in, make a short list and then decide.

Good luck, and enjoy

thanks! you guys must also enjoy, me and dad will team up for the event! already training! really like the merida bikes, but i just dont want the same sit position as the trance, really hope i can find something i like!

Just buy the Merida you want, I don't think you can go wrong. I've done the Sani with a Cannondale DS and my partner with a Scott HT, both 26'ers without any problems. For the Sani you don't have to cater for rocky roads and bumps, rather cater for a good climbing and single track bike(like the Merida you want). Just let a pro fit the bike for you and buy the correct frame size!

Just buy the Merida you want, I don't think you can go wrong. I've done the Sani with a Cannondale DS and my partner with a Scott HT, both 26'ers without any problems. For the Sani you don't have to cater for rocky roads and bumps, rather cater for a good climbing and single track bike(like the Merida you want). Just let a pro fit the bike for you and buy the correct frame size!

hi janneman72 - what is a good marida, i like the 96!!! dont know much about bikes, but like i metioned, i did like the sit position of the trance,, and dont really like the shape (frame) -

hi janneman72 - what is a good marida, i like the 96!!! dont know much about bikes, but like i metioned, i did like the sit position of the trance,, and dont really like the shape (frame) -

Check out the Merida one forty then. Any reasons why it would have to be a Spez or Merida?

Also best is to see if you could ride some other brands Trail bike, the Merida or Spez might not be right for you

Edited by Caerus

Check out the Merida one forty then. Any reasons why it would have to be a Spez or Merida?

Also best is to see if you could ride some other brands Trail bike, the Merida or Spez might not be right for you

sorry i meant, i didnt like the sit position on the trance! - i just want bike that hasnt got the same frame design as the trance, dont like it much,,, what other bikes are nice and in 15000-20000 range?

thank you for the advice so far, really appreciate it!

sorry i meant, i didnt like the sit position on the trance! - i just want bike that hasnt got the same frame design as the trance, dont like it much,,, what other bikes are nice and in 15000-20000 range?

thank you for the advice so far, really appreciate it!

So you want to look at XC frame geometry then, as opposed to Trail or All Mountian frame geometry. Do you like the longer travel with the suspension on the trail bikes?

There are so many good bikes out there, best is to start looking at bikes online, check out the manufacturers websites first, then call around the shops to see whats available and prices.

Then go try some out if possible.