Stanchion Scratching

patches

Yesterday on a bit of a training/fun ride I noticed some bad scratches on my boxxer stanchions :(

post-10758-0-72624600-1321425559.jpg

post-10758-0-53041700-1321425754.jpg

Judging by the orientation and consistency it seems these were caused as the fork moved through its range of travel.

Has anyone else had this? What exactly is the cause?

Edited by patches

Tell the truth: you fell… :P

if by that you mean...

...fell in love with my DH bike all over again... then yes! I did!

... but then she went and did this to me :(

Two mates of mine here in Bots had the same thing with their Marzochis.

Very fine dust was going thru the seal and mixing with oil causing an abrasive paste.

Had to have them replaced.

I have never exp it with Fox

when last was the fork serviced?

Thats generally caused by no oil on the stansion-bush or stanchion-wiper area.

Send the fork to a decent service dude!

You'll most likely need to buy: a new dust seals and wiper kit

new oil seals

(maybe new bushes)

PRAY you dont need a new stanchion!

and have them installed - REMEMBER tomake sure the LBS dip the foam wipers in fork oil first before installing.

Also you need new fork oil (OBVIOUSLY) ...

The scratches are high up on the stanchion so i doubt its actually a problem with the bushes which sit quite far into the lowers.

Id say you'll get away with a full new oil and dust seal kit (Which is probably over a year old hey??? ... if so CHANGE IT)

Also how grooved are the scratches?? clean the stanchion with alcohol and check (rub your finger over them) if they ridged you can try waterpapering them down a bit - but be careful! ... if they are too bad they will just screw up your new oil and dust seals so you'll then need a new stanchion.

if by that you mean...

...fell in love with my DH bike all over again... then yes! I did!

... but then she went and did this to me :(

Love's a bitch, hey! :D

all the black shiot on your stanchion leg is the oily paste kranswurm is talking about ... that comes from the oil in the wiper seal (generally) ... you definately need a new wiper/dust seal kit

Two mates of mine here in Bots had the same thing with their Marzochis.Very fine dust was going thru the seal and mixing with oil causing an abrasive paste.Had to have them replaced.I have never exp it with Fox

when last was the fork serviced?Thats generally caused by no oil on the stansion-bush or stanchion-wiper area.Send the fork to a decent service dude!You'll most likely need to buy: a new dust seals and wiper kit new oil seals (maybe new bushes) PRAY you dont need a new stanchion!and have them installed - REMEMBER tomake sure the LBS dip the foam wipers in fork oil first before installing.Also you need new fork oil (OBVIOUSLY) ... The scratches are high up on the stanchion so i doubt its actually a problem with the bushes which sit quite far into the lowers.Id say you'll get away with a full new oil and dust seal kit (Which is probably over a year old hey??? ... if so CHANGE IT)Also how grooved are the scratches?? clean the stanchion with alcohol and check (rub your finger over them) if they ridged you can try waterpapering them down a bit - but be careful! ... if they are too bad they will just screw up your new oil and dust seals so you'll then need a new stanchion.

all the black shiot on your stanchion leg is the oily paste kranswurm is talking about ... that comes from the oil in the wiper seal (generally) ... you definately need a new wiper/dust seal kit

thanks gents!

Yes... the fork hasn't been serviced recently, but then again I don't ride the bike much and haven't ridden a DH course on it since feb.

But yeah... seems it's service time. Fortunately if that stanchion is messed I have a spare set off a boxxer that I totalled last year (nice 25mm diameter hole through the left lower, but stanchions still seem fine).

cool - ya even if the bike hasnt been ridden mych you still need to service it regularly! its often the case that if the bike hasnt been ridden that the oil goes all siff!

have the same with both fox and rockshox,the only answer is to do a basic clean of the seals,and a fork oil change.You have to take the lowers off though.Once damage is done its too late.I have put booties on my fox forks,because of this.I cannot understand why forks dont have booties, they work!I was told this is not done as booties trap dirt in,and if left is going to do the damage.The answer is to cable tie the booties at the top,and leave the bottom open,so you have access for cleaning,plus lube.

In my case the damage was so bad I filled in the marks with nail varnish,and fine waterpaper to smooth,the performance of the forks is not affected,though I do lube the uppers regularly,the good thing with the booties is the lube on the stantions helps performance,and does not attract dirt as you have the booties.In most cases slight damage is only cosmetic,and wont affect performance,though it does allow more dirt to get throuh the seals.

What lube do you use on the stanchions?

you "lube" the stanchions with a 5wt fork oil that you inject into the foam ring below your dust seal (have to pull the lowers off to do this) ... putting lube onto the outer part of the stanchion as your forks just sitting there doesnt do much other than attract dirt

Iuse grease mixed with a little fork oil,it works for me as Ihave booties on,as I mentioned,it does not get dirt as the booties prevent this,my fox forks are old and already have stanstion damageiI bought them like this and made a plan,Iam using motorbike booties (the forks are 2008fox talas 36)and they seem to work fine.Supprisingly they do not get dirt in and they is no stictsion.My opinion is lubing and protecting the uppers is the answer,but you would need booties.On my rebas I use removable lizard skins,bought from CWC.

I use silicone spray every time I give the bike a wash. Keeps the stanctions clean, removes dust and grime that's stuck under / around the dust seal and makes my Lyrik buttery smooth.