MTB Out rides - Jeffreys Bay

Grootwiel

I am looking for mountain bikers who'll be in the J-Bay area over the December holidays. Perhaps we can register somewhere and hook up with some locals who can show us the trails! Can't go on holiday for 3 weeks with out my bike!

I am looking for mountain bikers who'll be in the J-Bay area over the December holidays. Perhaps we can register somewhere and hook up with some locals who can show us the trails! Can't go on holiday for 3 weeks with out my bike!

Will be worth your while taking a drive out to the Baviaans if you can. Should be an hour or so drive.

I am in Oyster Bay, just West of St Francis from 27 Dec to 6 Jan.

There are quite a few tracks between Oyster Bay and St Francis. They are very sandy if it has not rained in a while, but I think the area has had quite a bit of rain the last few months. The area is demarcated for the new nuclear power station, so is fairly sparsely populated. Dont think anybody minds bikes or hikers in the area this time of year.

I have attached a Google Earth photo of the area. Most of the tracks run within a few hundred meters of the coast. You can see them clearly if you have Google earth.

Dont use the main sand roads beyween Oyster Bay and St Francis. Its tempting, but they are hectically busy, very dusty and the cars drive like maniacs along this stretch.

Once you get to Oysterbay. If the tide is not too high, there is a lovely 5km ride along the beach to the rocky point. There is some virgin territory to explore here further west, but think it may be too sandy.

post-2863-0-32090200-1322130506.jpg