Bikes speeding on cycle lane

mdk555

That is crazy. They are posing a danger to the cyclists who use that lane. Sure if you hit him you are an idiot but that is not the point. I very much doubt that him being there is legal. He is causing an obstruction when there is no emergency. It is as it always is in this country... do what I say not what I do.

There is enough space to cycle around the illegally parked chops vehicle, should the chop walk out from behind his car while you are approaching from the other direction it could lead to a rather painful fall.

In Jhb I believe they write in excess of a 100 000 fines/month.

nice little side income for Metro...

G

This started as an indignant post about an idiot breaking the law by parking in a cycle lane.

Then became an indignant post about cops catching people who break the law in their cars.

... does anybody else see the irony in that?

You guy's that carry on about cars speeding and the total carnage on our roads,you just have to sit anywhere on Otto Du Plessis drive and see the speeds that car travel at.

This spot where you took the photo from is heading towards a Traffic light and a "Myciti" bus stop where people are crossing a pedestrian crossing, you ponly have to see how many cars jump red lights on these intersections and it is only a question of time when some poor pedestrian is killed.

Bud just let the powers that be do their jobs and slow the speeds down.

I ride this section allot and the speeds are seriuously above the 60km/h & 70km/h limits

You guy's that carry on about cars speeding and the total carnage on our roads,you just have to sit anywhere on Otto Du Plessis drive and see the speeds that car travel at.

This spot where you took the photo from is heading towards a Traffic light and a "Myciti" bus stop where people are crossing a pedestrian crossing, you ponly have to see how many cars jump red lights on these intersections and it is only a question of time when some poor pedestrian is killed.

I ride this section allot and the speeds are seriuously above the 60km/h & 70km/h limits

So you saying it is ok for the Cops to break to rules? Do they also fine those pedestrians to walk when they are not suppose to? Hmmm let me think...nope....

A danger, how so?

I mean he isn't on a blind rise or corner, has parked obtrusively and is visible. Plus there is a very clear space still for cyclists to commute.

It is not just if you hit the car....

Think about this, you and a friend come from the one side riding behind each other, from the other side is 2 runners and a few cyclist....now that car in the way is obstructing their view from both sides.....

As both sides change lanes....hmmm...interesting?

I am sure you will say that all parties should slow down to a crawl, just so this lazy cop can do his work ?

I want to subscribe to your thinking Buell. Really I do. But help me out here. This is a dual carriage road with a seperate road for buses and seperate lane for pedestrains and cyclists, approaching the high income suburb of Sunset Beach where I'm guessing you will find thousands of pedestrains waiting to cross to the island and catch the bus, eh??? Pardon the sarcasm but I still have not understood why this road is a 60km\h zone and then a mere 8 kays further along this road it becomes a single lane pseudo highway known as the R27 where the limit is 120... On that stretch you don't have seperate lanes for other traffic and you still have traffic light crossings et al.

Totally. There was a row up here when they wanted to fine cops who had parked "illegally", but the counter was they could do what they want if they're "doing their jobs".

Many years back we had an incident where a police car was double parked and a metro cop was writing out a ticket, the police arrested the metro cop for obstructing them in their duty :lol:

I want to subscribe to your thinking Buell. Really I do. But help me out here. This is a dual carriage road with a seperate road for buses and seperate lane for pedestrains and cyclists, approaching the high income suburb of Sunset Beach where I'm guessing you will find thousands of pedestrains waiting to cross to the island and catch the bus, eh??? Pardon the sarcasm but I still have not understood why this road is a 60km\h zone and then a mere 8 kays further along this road it becomes a single lane pseudo highway known as the R27 where the limit is 120... On that stretch you don't have seperate lanes for other traffic and you still have traffic light crossings et al.

+1 :thumbup:

Read a story years back about a man in the UK. He was from the Yorkshire Moors and was headed home along the farm roads, when all of a sudden a copper jumped over a low farm wall and stopped him for speeding. He begrudgingly accepted the ticket and set off home. Once home he called the Police and reported two trespassers who were illegally on his property! The two traffic cops who had stopped him were in fact on the other side of his wall, and thus illegally on his property!

Being the UK, and where they take these matters a lot more seriously and with all the needed adherence to the laws, the two traffic cops were in more trouble than he was!