MTB: Tubeless tyres on normal rims

hyper7

Hi,

I know that normal tyres won't work on tubeless rims, but is the reverse also true?

Thanks!

I'm currently running UST Larsen TT's on non-UST rims. Just pop in at your LBS and get the Stans tubeless conversion kit. Or have them do it. You can even convert normal tyres to tubeless for maximum weight savings, if you are prepared for the possibility of a bit of hassle. I know quite a number of the guys on the hub are running their tyres like this.

If you get a Stan's conversion done you can run non-UST tyres on any rim.

You can obviously run a UST tyre on a normal rim with a tube.

I'm currently running UST Larsen TT's on non-UST rims. Just pop in at your LBS and get the Stans tubeless conversion kit. Or have them do it. You can even convert normal tyres to tubeless for maximum weight savings' date=' if you are prepared for the possibility of a bit of hassle. I know quite a number of the guys on the hub are running their tyres like this.[/quote']

True, you can run normal "foldable" tyres on tubless/non tubeless rims.

To run with tubless rims you just need Stans or similar and there you go. Regarding the non tubelss rims you can use Stans conversion kits, however you can also use an old tube cut open to simulate a stans conversion.

Otherwise just use a few layers of insulation tape (or duct tape if you feel this is risky); then put a hole it the tale and put a tubelss valve in with Stans and off you go. Jist make sute you get the stans flowing all over the rim stirp and the tyre if you go this route.

The only risk you run with running non tubless tyres is that the sidewalls are softer and can be cut easyly (spelling) if you are rough on the bike.

My non tubless rear tyre was a bit soft last weekend and I dinged the rim on a rock on a hight speed decent (50km+ and the presure was about 2 Bar with me weighing in at 87kg)

Hi Sequoia' date='

Can you run them without the conversion kit, ie: with tubes inside?

Thanks!

[/quote']

Why would you want to do this? the weight penalty is huge!!!

Hi Dick, (and you other guys)

I don't race (competetivelySmile) so I don't care so much about weight. It just seems to me that there is a wider selection of tires available in tubeless than "tubed".  At the moment I even have "tire liners" in (oh the shame) Wink

It makes sense that one can run anything with tubes, I was just worried that the bead might be different or something.

Maybe I'll try the Stans thing though.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Hi' date='

I know that normal tyres won't work on tubeless rims, but is the reverse also true?

Thanks!

[/quote']

Nah mate, your havin a bubble. Normal kevlar beaded tyres work a treat on UST rims, I run standard karma's on my ZTR olympic rims no problem. Just stick in sealent and inflate with a compressor.