Buy a new bike or build one up

Adda

Hi, Please help. I'm in the market for a new bike, but cannot decide whether to buy a new one or build one up to my specifications. Building to ones specification requires time and money but in the end you will have something you've always wanted. Buying a new complete bike you don't have to worry but with time you might upgraded group sets, etc. Really confused :(

I have an idea: Saving you time, saving you money, putting you first!

Give me your specifications and I will build the bike up for you. Will even get you the most competitive pricing out there!

Are you talking about building up a R10k (easier and most probably cheaper to buy complete) or a R50k bike? If the latter, then I agree, specify what you want on it.

Road or mtb?

Edited by Tankman

I have an idea: Saving you time, saving you money, putting you first!

Give me your specifications and I will build the bike up for you. Will even get you the most competitive pricing out there!

Are you talking about building up a R10k (easier and most probably cheaper to buy complete) or a R50k bike? If the latter, then I agree, specify what you want on it.

Road or mtb?

Thanks Tankman. I would love to build a R50k bike, but have a limited budget of about R20k. I'm also not in a hurry because I will be off my bike for about 6 to 8 weeks because of injuries. At stage have looked at some carbon frames and camp group sets. Will be using my RC 3000 carbon in the interim if i do decide to build.

from personal experience - building a bike is so rewarding. I've now got an XC bike & DH bike which are almost to my exact specifications. And they're still fantastic to ride. Only thing that needs changing are the bars & stem on the XC bike. And I'll be keeping it as my "fun bike" when I eventually dive into the dark, dark world of 29erdom.

But it is a lot easier on the wallet, doing it over a few months.

If you find a frame that you like, buy it, transfer the parts from your RC3000 and then slowly start replacing the gruppo etc with good 2nd hand parts. IMHO - new parts prices are ridonculous, and the 2nd hand ones are often in fantastic condition, at a greatly reduced price.

from personal experience - building a bike is so rewarding. I've now got an XC bike & DH bike which are almost to my exact specifications. And they're still fantastic to ride. Only thing that needs changing are the bars & stem on the XC bike. And I'll be keeping it as my "fun bike" when I eventually dive into the dark, dark world of 29erdom.

But it is a lot easier on the wallet, doing it over a few months.

If you find a frame that you like, buy it, transfer the parts from your RC3000 and then slowly start replacing the gruppo etc with good 2nd hand parts. IMHO - new parts prices are ridonculous, and the 2nd hand ones are often in fantastic condition, at a greatly reduced price.

Thanks buddy. Agreed new part prices are absolutely ridiculous.

Hi there

I have "built" up 2x 29er bikes now, one my NINER RIP9 and a MOMSEN 29AL frame built as a SS bike.

IMO the "custom built" bikes are more expensive, but you HAVE TO put the stuff on you want.

Like that it will prevent you from developing upgrade-itis in the coming months.

From the start, get the RIGHT set of wheels, that suits your riding style and weight, and build them onto an indestructible set of hubs. Your wheels will (could / should) be a set and forget item.

Weight schmeight...

If you are a race snake, and entering races to win them all, well, then you should get a superlight set of racing wheels.

If you enjoy riding and racing, and do it for the love of the sport and fun,

then the added 250g on wheels you can shed by going for

1. a pee before you ride

2. half the content of of one of your drinking bottles

3. a smaller hand-pump

4. just take one spare tube with you on rides, and for more weight saving, remove the sealant from the tube... :P

I hope this helps in your decision on spending your HARD earned cash...

Oh yes, enjoy your new bike :clap:

Keep em rolling