Holiday riding - CPT and about

hayleyearth

Thanks for that, If I could be so bold as to ask :rolleyes: if you could mark on the map I attached which directions I should be going, It would be much appreciated. Another question is a map available at Tokai that I could take with me or should it be easy enough to follow with the signage? I also don't wanna b getting in the way of the downhillers.

Whats at the berm?

hmm Let me mark it :) No maps as far as I know but quite well marked at start of the track not easy to get lost .

Top of vasbyt is blind rise berm and guys bomb it down and can be dangerous. there is a track that takes u to the top.

cant mark map at work :( soz

Edited by leet22

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would be the ideal place to take the wife for some MTBing today, somewhere with not too much climbing and a chilled scenic ride? :unsure:

I was thinking Meerendal?

Edited by Caerus

Where would be the ideal place to take the wife for some MTBing today, somewhere with not too much climbing and a chilled scenic ride? :unsure:

I was thinking Meerendal?

Try Bottelary Hills routes. Do a search for Bottelary Hills thread.

Some really nice riding there, not too technical / demanding, and really scenic.

Try Bottelary Hills routes. Do a search for Bottelary Hills thread.

Some really nice riding there, not too technical / demanding, and really scenic.

Thanks for that :thumbup: Much Appreciated

Thanks for that :thumbup: Much Appreciated

Pleasure. :thumbup:

Meerendal is ok'ish, but cannot compare to Bottelary for variety/scenic. You'll enjoy Bottelary more. Hope you can come right with a day permit thought, as you do need one.

Edited by Wannabe

Pleasure. :thumbup:

Meerendal is ok'ish, but cannot compare to Bottelary for variety/scenic. You'll enjoy Bottelary more. Hope you can come right with a day permit thought, as you do need one.

I'm just checking out the Bottelary website and it says there are 5 starting points, which one too choose? Bottelary Hills MTB

Which loop/ route would be recommended to do?

Edited by Caerus

I'm just checking out the Bottelary website and it says there are 5 starting points, which one too choose? Bottelary Hills MTB

Which loop/ route would be recommended to do?

Sorry, was out for a while. I'll suggest you start at The Only One restaurant. You can do any of the loops from there, and also go from one to the other if you like more riding, as they all interlink.

Enjoy your riding.

Edited by Wannabe

Up faire garden, then cross over to my roots.up there then up jeep track to bottom of vasbyt up vasbyt to top. Then up to boulders from boulders to new DH section . then Take a long ride up to top of bridal path down bridale path, down to mamba ride mamba down to boomslang, acroos to snay snake eyes down to bottom. ride out on jeep track to top of vasbyt down vasbyt to bottom across to my roots again ride up to faire garden and then back down to car park :D

should do well.

JUST TURN OFF BEFORE THE BERM ON TOP OF VASBYT

Got fairly lost, but had a decent ride. Its fairly difficult to find your way around without being shown it, the trail markings are not the greatest :rolleyes: . I was bricking it in some sections, not knowing if I was going up the right way, but seems you can go up and down most of the trails(except the Downhills) Will need to get another longer ride in there to try get to do all the sections and this time take a map with me :thumbup:

Can you get to the mast? :unsure:

Got fairly lost, but had a decent ride. Its fairly difficult to find your way around without being shown it, the trail markings are not the greatest :rolleyes: . I was bricking it in some sections, not knowing if I was going up the right way, but seems you can go up and down most of the trails(except the Downhills) Will need to get another longer ride in there to try get to do all the sections and this time take a map with me :thumbup:

Can you get to the mast? :unsure:

Hey Caerus, good bumping into you on the trails today! My wife had real bad luck with her mechanical - buckled rim and broken valve from a stick that got into her spokes. When you saw us, we were putting in a tube and sorting her brakes as they were catching on the buckle. Thank goodness we had all our spares with us and we managed to make it back to The Only One. Pity it cut our ride short, but they sure had good burgers. You should've joined us for that coffee (think you were in the ND car?).

Seems like a great network of trails and the team at Bottelary are to be commended (and the landowners thanked!!). Will have to explore the other colours another day. Do try get to Oak Valley red route if you can before you go back. It defines flowing single track, and there's km's of the stuff.

Edited by flymango

Hey Caerus, good bumping into you on the trails today! My wife had real bad luck with her mechanical - buckled rim and broken valve from a stick that got into her spokes. When you saw us, we were putting in a tube and sorting her brakes as they were catching on the buckle. Thank goodness we had all our spares with us and we managed to make it back to The Only One. Pity it cut our ride short, but they sure had good burgers. You should've joined us for that coffee (think you were in the ND car?).

Seems like a great network of trails and the team at Bottelary are to be commended (and the landowners thanked!!). Will have to explore the other colours another day. Do try get to Oak Valley red route if you can before you go back. It defines flowing single track, and there's km's of the stuff.

Hey Flymango, good to meet you. :thumbup: Sorry about the wifes mechanical, and pity it cut the ride short. I was running so late to take the wife to work this afternoon, so couldn't do the coffee unfortunately. The trail were great and the route markings were fantastic, how it should be done in my opinion having ridden a few places now, so would like to go back for another ride. I won't be doing the blue loop again thats for sure, but all round a great experience and some stunning scenary :)

I'm in Cape Town till about the 12 of Jan, so got lots more riding to fit in, possibly arrange a day to meet up? :clap:Will be doing Oak Valley & Oak Lane(Lebanon) I'm told also has some sick single track :drool: Where else have you ridden?

I'm back at work from tomorrow and planning to do a PPA road race on Sunday so my MTB outings are on hold until the 14th.

I've now done most trails in and around Cape Town, with the exception of Welvanpas (Wellington). Oak Valley and Lebanon are both very enjoyable but rather different trails. The markings at Lebanon are ok, but with the activities in the plantations some markers are missing from time-to-time. Lebanon single track is more technical (but very doable), whereas Oak Valley is genuinely more flowing (on the red route - haven't done the black route diversions although I understand they have steep up and downs). Oak Valley is very well marked, and has some fun bridge crossings over numerous fences. I would certainly do Oak Valley first (red route twice would be a good workout that will leave you smiling long after your ride is finished), and then Lebanon. Watch the weather, both routes seem hellishly hot if the mercury goes much above 28.

My ranking (ALL very enjoyable and classy venues):

1. Oak Valley Red

2. Hillcrest - Kliprug - Contermans - Kliprug - Hillcrest

3. Eselfontein (Ceres)

4. Tokai (many choices - all very enjoyable)

5. Lebanon

6. Bottelary Red

7. Meerendal

Hope that helps? :thumbup:

Edited by flymango