Merida TFS 300 D / Hot Spot Cycles

Eswill

** FINAL UPDATE:**

Dereck from Cytek/Merida replaced the bike with no questions asked, no nonsense, no problems and explained in detail what could have happened and why it is an extreme exception. Corrie at Hot Spot rebuilt the bike and double checked on everything with great advice on some accessories. All of this happened within one day after the complaint during the busiest time of the year. Faith restored, customer retained - Merida for life! Well done guys, and thank you.

Hi all!

First post of many on The Hub and new to the MTB world :)

Just a question / comment or two on a really bad first experience, looking for some input. I've bought my Merida Matts TFS 300-D (click for details) a week ago at Hot Spot Cycles in Pretoria East.

I'm not going to moan about the initial service and lack of assistance when buying your first (budget) cycle. This weekend me and my friends went camping at Dube Lodge and had a blast of a time cycling. BUT - on day three, third short trip, riding while standing with the gears on 3 x 9, the left crank arm just detached and I missed hitting the gravel on high speed by pure luck.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Eswill/TheHubSA/Crank.jpg

Both the crank and the crank arm's "teeth" stripped a bit - still there but clearly damaged. Back at home I also realised the fork is leaking oil at the hub!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Eswill/TheHubSA/Fork.jpg

Could this be just really bad luck with a double manufacturing fault on Merida's side, or could it be poor assembly at Hot Spot? I'm taking the cycle back this afternoon and want to know how to handle the situation, taking Hot Spot's lack of customer service into consideration... The cycle has less than 40km on the clock with really no hard riding or abuse :unsure:

Thanks in advance - hope to hear from some people!

Edited by Eswill

Take it back, if Hotspot and Merida want to do good on their rep they will sort it out, crank sounds like an assembly problem, fork a manufactures.

Edited by scotty

Hmmm - the crank bolt shouldn't have come loose, so I would think that's an assembly issue. The fork leaking oil - difficult to say without some actual photos - any possibility?

i have been in this situation with said shop. Got my BB replaced and crank came loose too. I took it back and i got the classic "you must not ride that hard" sarcastic comment.

That being said i have also had good service from them too, like waiting for me to get there to buy a tire the night before a race.

Take it back, if they say its your fault, give the guy a "plathand" but they are usually good with things like this. i think you shouldn't sweat it to much.

I have updated the original post.

According to Dereck at Merida the crank may have been an assembly error and should never have happened. With regards to the oil on the fork, it should be normal sweating from the lubricant as the shock doesn't contain any oil - in any case they are replacing the bicycle - awesome service!

Updated the post one last time - one more VIVA to Dereck and Robbie at Cytek/Merida and Corrie at Hot Spot!