Good bike under R5k

Unirunner

HI

What is a good mountain bike under R5K that won't break under a bigunner? (pun intended)

Thanks! I need something before the weekend...

U

Edited by Unirunner

HI

What is a good mountain bike under R5K that won't break under a bigunner? (pun intended)

Thanks! I need something before the weekend...

U

Hey,

I'm in the same boat as you are at the moment!

So far I've narrowed down (I think, there are so many different bikes) my research to a few bikes:

GT Avalanche 3.0 - ~R5k

GT Avalanche 3.0 27Spd - ~R5.5k

GT Avalanche 2.0 - ~R6k

GT Karakoram 3.0 (29'r) - ~R5.5k

I'd be keen to get a 2nd hand bike but unfortunately I have yet to find one in XL size, as that's what I am being 6ft3.

I'm also keen at looking at some Silverbacks and other brands, but from the looks of things GT has some pretty good price per performance bikes available. I could be wrong though, as I'm pretty n00b. Also availability seems pretty good for GT.

It would be awesome if some more experienced peeps could reply here and give some more pro advice! :D

I am no pro but I am also your height and had a GT 2. Could not break it. It was a Large and totally bombproof. I recommend it BUT, try second hand on the Hub. Better bargains? More bike for your buck. Check on components first though. Take a buddy along, ride the bike for fit. I upgraded and I guess so will you after riding a machine like that. My 2c worth............

Best of luck.

I saw a TITAN today for the first time

Specifically the TITAN Sport 29er. I think its a great bike for a beginner at R5500

For your height I would lean towards the 29er

Buy at the top of your budget to start off with because those bikes inevitably have a better spec.

This will save you money in the long run when you realize you need (in cycling need actually means want) a better seat, clip in pedals, a tunable front shock, more gears, hydraulic disk brakes, lighter wheels etc etc etc....

These two posts pretty much cover where I ended up when looking for a new bike for under R5k...

I saw a TITAN today for the first time

Specifically the TITAN Sport 29er. I think its a great bike for a beginner at R5500

Silverback is the bike with some of the best value for money and sins the 2012 models is here you can get a 2011 model for a very good price

I checked out the 2nd hand side but got a little frustrated trying to find what I wanted, in the size I wanted, and still in good condition, for the price I wanted.

I then had a mate point out the Titan range and I was almost sold until I spotted the Silverback range and ended up getting better components at a lower price. This was for the exact reason pointed out by SBman, I bought a 2011 model as part of a stock clearance. Not sure there will still be many like that around still though so late in the year. Most have already cleared stock.

I was not caught up in the whole 29er hype as it often meant about R1k more just for the bigger wheels because it is a new fad.

Hey,

I'm in the same boat as you are at the moment!

So far I've narrowed down (I think, there are so many different bikes) my research to a few bikes:

GT Avalanche 3.0 - ~R5k

GT Avalanche 3.0 27Spd - ~R5.5k

GT Avalanche 2.0 - ~R6k

GT Karakoram 3.0 (29'r) - ~R5.5k

I'd be keen to get a 2nd hand bike but unfortunately I have yet to find one in XL size, as that's what I am being 6ft3.

I'm also keen at looking at some Silverbacks and other brands, but from the looks of things GT has some pretty good price per performance bikes available. I could be wrong though, as I'm pretty n00b. Also availability seems pretty good for GT.

It would be awesome if some more experienced peeps could reply here and give some more pro advice! :D

Hey Vexer, Where do you find the GTs at? I live in PTA and can't find one, unless it is some way overpriced yuppy mtb.

Thanks!

U

These two posts pretty much cover where I ended up when looking for a new bike for under R5k...

I checked out the 2nd hand side but got a little frustrated trying to find what I wanted, in the size I wanted, and still in good condition, for the price I wanted.

I then had a mate point out the Titan range and I was almost sold until I spotted the Silverback range and ended up getting better components at a lower price. This was for the exact reason pointed out by SBman, I bought a 2011 model as part of a stock clearance. Not sure there will still be many like that around still though so late in the year. Most have already cleared stock.

I was not caught up in the whole 29er hype as it often meant about R1k more just for the bigger wheels because it is a new fad.

Hey Clint, How is the silverback holding in? Is it any good? The forks seems to be suspicious. I have heard some complaint from a sales guy that one of the bikes' frame broke, but it could be a sales fab.

Thanks!

U

Edited by Unirunner

Guest Travis.

Hey Vexer, Where do you find the GTs at? I live in PTA and can't find one, unless it is some way overpriced yuppy mtb.

Thanks!

U

Check www.obike.co.za. They'll send it to nearest LBS. I've seen the guys at Hatfield Cycles stock GT, you can go have a look there too.

This is what made me buy my GT 1 last year. Ad is a bit old but you can try and contact Bester cycles, I did not buy from them as they were too far away but a LBS in Rustenburg did match the price on the GT 1. Still riding it with an upgraded crank and fork and saddle. When I do oneday get the go ahead from HQ to upgrade I will still keep the bike and convert to single speed as I think the frames look good and seem to age well. We have had a happy 10,000km+ time!

http://www.thehubsa....-bester-cycles/

Edited by Mojoman

Cobtact Colin of bicycle-trader.com at colvena@hotmail.com

He gives good honest advice and has a large range of second hand bikes in great nick

I bought the GT Karakoram 3.0 for a bit less than R5.5k? At Westdene cycles. Phone them and ask them to order you one ... my XL took about three days to deliver. Bike's OK ... I don't like the pedals or the shifters ... but it got me moving again. Paid R4.5k at the end of November.

Hey Clint, How is the silverback holding in? Is it any good? The forks seems to be suspicious. I have heard some complaint from a sales guy that one of the bikes' frame broke, but it could be a sales fab.

Thanks!

U

It's been just over a month now and only around 300km of single track trail riding at Giba but I have not had any issues. I did get the real wheel trued a week or so back but that is the norm (as far as I understand) when a bike is ridden for the first time.

But in saying this I am only 77kg and do not take 5m drop offs nor do jumps. The forks are usually Suntour or Rokshox, which are on many other bikes, so sounds distinctly like sales talk to me. Obviously in this price range they are not top of the range forks but that is to be expected.

I got my Phoenix with Deore components, SLX rear derailleur, Shimano hydraulic disks, Suntour air shock (which is probably my least favourite component) for R4,500.

Cobtact Colin of bicycle-trader.com at colvena@hotmail.com

He gives good honest advice and has a large range of second hand bikes in great nick

Maybe I am a major sceptic but operating on a hotmail account and selling second hand bikes sounds dodge to me.