Blood Donation

Tienie

Hi there, I am a regular blood donar, but ever since I started cycling more seriously, I find I take a long time to recover to a "race level" after a donation. Those red cells take some time to grow again !

I am concidering stopping the donating. Anyone out there with similar feelings ?

I've considered stopping too, but I'm not sure if I will. I might if it starts to affect me more, but for now it still seems to be fine. Although I have been put on some medication by my doctor, so I won't be donating for about a year anyway.

I did donate blood but the blood bank said I must stop if i'm training hard it's not good,it's sad because I can help some people

As much as we want to help others sometimes we are not able to. Your red blood cells carry the oxygen to your cells in your muscles and organs allowing you to enjoy our sport. Fixing the problem by constantly taking iron supplements to counter the anemia is not a good long term solution. Have you had a look at your diet to supplement your iron intake if you want to continue donating. Try not donating for the specified time prescribed by your doctor or blood bank without taking supplemental iron and then follow a balanced diet. After a few months have your hemoglobin checked and if its still low then there might be a problem elsewhere. Discuss with your doctor then about having a gastroscopy ( thats the pipe with a camera they stick down your throat to check for bleeding in your gut and then theres another thinga-ma-jig they shove somewhere else as well). Might not be the blood donations causing the problem.

Me too, after the Pick n Pay Argus Cycle Tour they came around to our work & after completing that long questionare which sometimes take anything from 5minutes the nurse was just making small chat with me then it came up that I did the Tour the Sunday, they were there the Wednesday or Thursday & they said after a strenuous activity like that its not a good idea to donate, so now I've stop donating completely cause I havent stopped cycling competitively.

Tienie I'm surprised they even accepted your blood.

Me too, after the Pick n Pay Argus Cycle Tour they came around to our work & after completing that long questionare which sometimes take anything from 5minutes the nurse was just making small chat with me then it came up that I did the Tour the Sunday, they were there the Wednesday or Thursday & they said after a strenuous activity like that its not a good idea to donate, so now I've stop donating completely cause I havent stopped cycling competitively.

Tienie I'm surprised they even accepted your blood.

Sounds pretty random to me. I used to race competitively whilst I worked for (and donated blood and platelets regularly) the SA Blood Transfusion Service.

I use to donate & race as well until the conversation we had by mistake as mentioned in previous post, next time you donate mention to them that you train x amount of hours per week & that you race on weekends & see if they still accept, please let me know what the outcome was then I'll ask the nurse that comes around to our work why they will not accept mine?

I use to donate & race as well until the conversation we had by mistake as mentioned in previous post, next time you donate mention to them that you train x amount of hours per week & that you race on weekends & see if they still accept, please let me know what the outcome was then I'll ask the nurse that comes around to our work why they will not accept mine?

Dude, when I was working there I used to take my bike to work so I could ride to the Kyalami race once a week(back when Kyalami was a race-day even tougher than the now famous bedfordview race-day...) after work. Some days I was commuting 60km each way by bike, and racing three times a week. They knew how many hours I was putting in.

As far as I can recall if your hemoglobin level for a male is below 12 then they will not accept you as a donor.

Ok, cool I'll tune this tannie next time she says no after I tell her the amount of riding & racing i do. Up until today the still phone & sms me regularly to remind not to forget to donate.

Like you said its random or someone back then just didnt care about your wellbeing, do you still race & donate as often as you use to?

As far as I can recall if your hemoglobin level for a male is below 12 then they will not accept you as a donor.

Yeah, that's the criteria (in conjunction with the medical questionnaire) to qualify you as a donor. Of course when I worked there, the med questions couldn't prevent you from donating except in exceptional cases, but it did determine if your donation was destroyed or not. We burned a lotta bags.

Getting back to the hb, the finger prick and the drop of blood in the goop is the only criteria.

Healthy athletes are sorta ideal donors. The only caution should be to take the next day or two easy on the bike while your red cells return to normal.

someone back then just didnt care about your wellbeing, do you still race & donate as often as you use to?

Hope not. The head nurse of the clinic I was based at was in love with me at the time :unsure:

Hope not. The head nurse of the clinic I was based at was in love with me at the time :unsure:

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: There is the problem, I knew there had to be a catch, she kept taking your blood thats the only way she could ensure you come back everytime so that she could caress your arm, LOL! Just kidding Mate.

I must admit the corniest thing a nurse once told me, is that "you have nice veins" I'm sure she was moving in on me :thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: There is the problem, I knew there had to be a catch, she kept taking your blood thats the only way she could ensure you come back everytime so that she could caress your arm, LOL! Just kidding Mate.

Was a surreal time. She sorta, kinda, broke off an existing engagement when she met me... And her ex fiance helped organise a few donor clinics for me. :o

Tell you one thing, it freaked the lab staff out when they walked in on us the one day :blink:

(as is well documented, I am a sucker for a redhead...)

Edited by TNT1