Blood Donation

Tienie

Was a surreal time. She sorta, kinda, broke off an existing engagement when she met me... And her ex fiance helped organise a few donor clinics for me. :o

Tell you one thing, it freaked the lab staff out when they walked in on us the one day :blink:

(as is well documented, I am a sucker for a redhead...)

:lol: Hence the Avatar :thumbup:

It takes about 3 weeks for your red cells to get to "normal" Maybe donating platelets or bone marrow is the answer. They don't touch you red cells.

Thanx for the replies, I think I have done my bit in donating over 50 units.

donating is a good thing. you shouldn't stop it. you can lessen the times you're going to donate but don't stop cause you are helping a lot of people who are in need. :)

As a regular Platlett Donor I would cycle to the JHB unit after work, sit for over an hour on the machine watching videos and munching cookies and drinking Coca-Cola whilst they removed the white cells they needed and then cycle home, because the donation date co-incided with my commuting schedule. This was never a problem and I was never refused - maybe they were desperate?

So why not donate plateletts instead of blood and then you can race within 48 hours of the donation ?

This way you know your donation is helping a cancer patient somewhere and your blood is not being used to save the life of some low life hyjacker/thief/crook/criminal who has been shot by the police and needs blood to survive - just my take on the issue - use it don't abuse it ! :D