Newbie Looking for Advice

Jeanpg

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum.

I cycled a bit as a student, mostly to get from here to there, but went on a recrational tour or two as well.

Haven't really been on the bike for about ten years, and recently moved to the Bushveld, giving me the chance to cycle to work (about 10km either way) and get out over weekends etc.

I started looking at bikes around R5k. I have some price flexibility though and look for a good value proposition, even if it costs a bit more. I've been doing some looking around (and the budget grew some...).

I've now got two offers on 2011 stock - The Cannondale SL2 for R8k and the Ghost EPS Pro at R9k. Both have bits and bobs thrown in.

Does anyone have experience or advice on either of these bikes, or tips for making a sensible choice between them? (Advice for something entirely different is also welcome, but my technical knowledge is rather limited, so please use small words!)

Jean

i would go for the cannondale (i've had 3 so i know the make, i haven't heard of Ghost Eps). make sure that the bike is the right size. they come in small , medium & large nowadays. are the bikes from a reputable dealer?

The Cannondale dealer comes with good recommendations from friends. The Ghost comes from a shop that, at the least, has been around for several years.

Cannodale's are not my favourite. Ghost supports a local guy (Brandon Stewart) so I would take that bike for their efforts in SA.

I would go Cannondale - they are awesome, well-built and strong bikes. I have a 29er Hard Tail and I am sold on the brand - my carbon 26er full sus never sees the light of day anymore. However, Ghost is trying to break into the SA market, so may offer better components for your buck. Unless there is a huge difference in component quality and weight, I would still go with cannondale.

Cannodale's are not my favourite. Ghost supports a local guy (Brandon Stewart) so I would take that bike for their efforts in SA.

I think Brandon is riding a sponsored Momsen 29er

I think Brandon is riding a sponsored Momsen 29er

So how does Ghost allow that? He definately rides with a shirt that has "Ghost" all over it!

You are 100% correct. But on tv the other night watching the footage of DCM cape pioneer trek I am sure he was wearing a Ghost shirt. I must be going mad!!

Edited by Top Fuel

guys common, lets not hijack this thread ... lets keep to the question.

Start a new thread?

I don't see it as a hijack. He was just correcting me. My post still stands. I would rather take the Ghost.