Giba Gorge Blue

KenG

I always ride down to giba and I think its got to a stage where more people ride in then giba then drive to giba and is on the increase. They will park in hillcrest and ride down in big groups so they dont have to pay and its that access which is causing the biggest loss to the park and needs strick control a proper gate and access control. The other access control point on the blue route has been well positioned but badly managed. Maybe adopt a policy of allowing everyone in but no-one leaves without a card or proof of payment, send them back to clubhouse to pay maybe the ride there and back will help to change their mindset.

What makes me sick is that these people all have very expensive bikes and drive fancy cars yet won't pay R850 for a whole years membership. Will then go spend R100 for breakfast at Oscars or wherever, tjops the lot of them.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes me sick is that these people all have very expensive bikes and drive fancy cars yet won't pay R850 for a whole years membership. Will then go spend R100 for breakfast at Oscars or wherever, tjops the lot of them.

HELL YEAH! It is ridiculous. Now I'm not blowing my own trumpet but I have an affordable car, a R4.5k bike and live in Pinetown, not Kloof or Gillits or those other fancy places yet I have my annual membership card. The people I do hear riding into Giba from St Heliers are usually always those living in those more well to do areas with their fancy 4x4s and expensive bikes. Really pees me off.

They need to have proper access control at St Heliers. No doubt doing so will result in extra costs but the increased revenue stream may compensate for this.

Edited by Clint_ZA

We have also had run ins with Hickers strolling up the Blue Route, and runners with a dog which almost caused a nasty accident on our side, two weeks in a row (same people same dog).

I spoke to Jethrow about it and he says they only supposed to used the Jeep tracks.

ANOTHER thing that pees me off! Runners and walkers get free access to the park during the week so they are contributing nothing. The runners in particular use all the same facilities yet at no cost during the week and minimal on the weekends.

ANOTHER thing that pees me off! Runners and walkers get free access to the park during the week so they are contributing nothing. The runners in particular use all the same facilities yet at no cost during the week and minimal on the weekends.

This is bull***t and needs to change, I saw them streaming on Sat & Sun morning all parking outside and then running/ walking in. Next time I say something. Then on top of it they are always in the bloody way, something MUST be done about this.

wristbands for non members would probably work quite well.

random colours no pattern and then you keep it on while you are there.

for members, not so easy, but the card seems to be the best idea, but it needs to be policed accordingly

It may involve some capital outlay to get the equipment but what about a barcode wristband system like they use at Ushaka? Guards could carry a scanner and scan people at random to see if bands are valid. If you have a card, then they issue you a band free of charge. No card, you pay entrance fee and get a band. Use random colours so as not to establish a pattern. If yopu are gcaught without a band, detain the person and call the cops. Charge them with trespassing or theft.

I have heard that there is trend developing whereby people are parking at Oscars in Hillcrest and riding down into Giba from the mushroom farm side using the gravity route and then going out via heartbreak hill to St Helliers. Giba lose out because everybody goes to Oscars for breakfat afterwards.

It may involve some capital outlay to get the equipment but what about a barcode wristband system like they use at Ushaka? Guards could carry a scanner and scan people at random to see if bands are valid. If you have a card, then they issue you a band free of charge. No card, you pay entrance fee and get a band. Use random colours so as not to establish a pattern. If yopu are gcaught without a band, detain the person and call the cops. Charge them with trespassing or theft.

I have heard that there is trend developing whereby people are parking at Oscars in Hillcrest and riding down into Giba from the mushroom farm side using the gravity route and then going out via heartbreak hill to St Helliers. Giba lose out because everybody goes to Oscars for breakfat afterwards.

Maybe I should send a link to this thread for Jason at Giba, see what he says.

It is a bad trend. Those who conscientiously pay their way now will eventually start wondering why they should bother if so many others don't and soon no one will be paying and the park will not be sustainable.

Good idea. As far as the runners go, I though there was a flat rate for "pedestrians"?

With the increased interest in trail running, perhaps it is a good idea for Jason to look at dedicated walking/trail routes and keep the pedestrians off the MTB routes.

It is a bad trend. Those who conscientiously pay their way now will eventually start wondering why they should bother if so many others don't and soon no one will be paying and the park will not be sustainable.

True. It will go back to the way it was before. Cyclists dodging motox bikes (those with big enough balls to ride the same tracks as the bikes). At least you got a fair warning with the noise!!

This was sent out from Giba in February.

Important news from Giba :-

Please get ready for a few changes in regards to park access. As we get our new signage up around the park, we will be tightening the reins in terms of park access over the next month. The new park access will run as follows:

• Annual Park Members: 24 hrs access
  • Pre paid tickets (booklet): 24 hrs access
  • All paying customers: strictly 7am-5pm

We will also be tightening up our checkpoints on St Helleirs Rd and Gravity Dice as soon as all the signage is up and the new boom gate on St Helleirs is installed.

As a result of people entering Giba without paying to the use of the park, Jason and his management team are being forced to implement the above policy.
    What it means for us trail runners is, we will need to have either an annual membership or, as a lot of you have already done, you will need to buy a book of tickets.
    Without a membership card or ticket, the guard on the gate / boom will not let you in before 7am.
    You don't want the hassle and embarrassment of being refused entry into Giba at 5.30am, so please start getting your tickets/ membership sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

i see the latest giba gaba has reinforced the above sentiment. anyone go over the weekend before 7 without the membership card or pre paid?

i tend to do this a lot, but dont go often enough to warrant an annual pass. need to find out about these prepaid booklet things.

hows the downhill course now, is any work scheduled for it now that the uci event is over?

and when are we going to have a build day, more than willing to pop on by for a few hours to throw some dirt around

This was sent out from Giba in February.

Important news from Giba :-

Please get ready for a few changes in regards to park access. As we get our new signage up around the park, we will be tightening the reins in terms of park access over the next month. The new park access will run as follows:

• Annual Park Members: 24 hrs access
  • Pre paid tickets (booklet): 24 hrs access
  • All paying customers: strictly 7am-5pm

We will also be tightening up our checkpoints on St Helleirs Rd and Gravity Dice as soon as all the signage is up and the new boom gate on St Helleirs is installed.

As a result of people entering Giba without paying to the use of the park, Jason and his management team are being forced to implement the above policy.
    What it means for us trail runners is, we will need to have either an annual membership or, as a lot of you have already done, you will need to buy a book of tickets.
    Without a membership card or ticket, the guard on the gate / boom will not let you in before 7am.
    You don't want the hassle and embarrassment of being refused entry into Giba at 5.30am, so please start getting your tickets/ membership sorted out.

Thats awesome, I saw the ususal suspects doing a sneaky on Sunday arvo. Time for the Trail runners and dog walkers to payup as well. Would love to be there when they catch the twats that sneak in while coming from Oscars

i see the latest giba gaba has reinforced the above sentiment. anyone go over the weekend before 7 without the membership card or pre paid?

i tend to do this a lot, but dont go often enough to warrant an annual pass. need to find out about these prepaid booklet things.

hows the downhill course now, is any work scheduled for it now that the uci event is over?

and when are we going to have a build day, more than willing to pop on by for a few hours to throw some dirt around

I got this response from Jason this morning:

The prepaid booklets all have 10 tickets in them.

Adult Rider: R300

Under 12 Rider: R105

Non Rider: R70

Hey Dude

Ya i have a couple of scheduled build weekends at Giba coming up (just have to get through this weekends Provincial DH at Worlds View First). I have a bobcat that will be helping me rebuild the DH track so that will be great.

Also need to go and just re-shape most of the jumps on Gravity so that they are more rider friendly and safer. And need to add in some extra berms etc. Will let you guys know when im gonna be up there working. but it will be in the next month definately!

Hey Dude

Ya i have a couple of scheduled build weekends at Giba coming up (just have to get through this weekends Provincial DH at Worlds View First). I have a bobcat that will be helping me rebuild the DH track so that will be great.

Also need to go and just re-shape most of the jumps on Gravity so that they are more rider friendly and safer. And need to add in some extra berms etc. Will let you guys know when im gonna be up there working. but it will be in the next month definately!

If you need some help, give us a shout.