Giba Gorge Blue

KenG

I put on a few in the last 6 years.

Less Steers for you bru!

EDIT: Judging by some of the PM's I have received, the concept of "light hearted banter/humour" appears to get lost regularly.... :D

96. I lost a few in the last few months. It's not the steers bru, I am just big boned.....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rode giba blue this past weekend. did the jump route and low and behold as i come around the corner i came across some elderly folk on a merry stroll up the blue route :thumbdown:

i was thankfully in cruise mode as my friend had just shouted to stop for a puncture.

i politely warned them that it wasn't a good idea to walk there, but they seemed pretty adamant and said they stay out the way (this after i had seen them 5 or 6 strong walking in a group in the middle of the trail.)

as i said i was cruising and still ended up like this :eek:

We have also had run ins with Hickers strolling up the Blue Route, and runners with a dog which almost caused a nasty accident on our side, two weeks in a row (same people same dog).

I spoke to Jethrow about it and he says they only supposed to used the Jeep tracks.

We have also had run ins with Hickers strolling up the Blue Route, and runners with a dog which almost caused a nasty accident on our side, two weeks in a row (same people same dog).

I spoke to Jethrow about it and he says they only supposed to used the Jeep tracks.

Those people with dogs running wild next to them are definitely going to cause an accident soon, I had the same thing on Wednesday evening(this is about the fifth time I've had close calls), the next time it happens I am going to lose my cool with the owners. Ive been pleasant in the previous cases, but they still look at you like they are doing nothing wrong, they should get an automatic ban if they don't follow the rules, I would also like to know if these trail runners are actually paying to get in and use the park.

I will speak to Jason about this this afternoon.

Eish,

Divie and I ride there on a wed evening and ran into the same guys with the dog 2 weeks in a row and managed to miss them altogether this past Wed.

The first encounter ended up like a JoBerg highway in rush hour with cyclists exiting left and right into the trees to avoid the collie that was allowed to roam free. We were all very lucky on that occasion as there were 5 of us peddaling our asses off through Cat Tail (bottom of Shaya Moya down section, right before river) which is a very fast flowing section, could have been a pile of Morewoods and flesh if we'd not run off the trail into the bush.

The one lady responded by saying we should have bells so they could hear us :cursing:

I mean "Really !!"

Eish,

Divie and I ride there on a wed evening and ran into the same guys with the dog 2 weeks in a row and managed to miss them altogether this past Wed.

The first encounter ended up like a JoBerg highway in rush hour with cyclists exiting left and right into the trees to avoid the collie that was allowed to roam free. We were all very lucky on that occasion as there were 5 of us peddaling our asses off through Cat Tail (bottom of Shaya Moya down section, right before river) which is a very fast flowing section, could have been a pile of Morewoods and flesh if we'd not run off the trail into the bush.

The one lady responded by saying we should have bells so they could hear us :cursing:

I mean "Really !!"

Maybe she needs a muzzle and leash as well, silly woman. These runners are also getting as bad as a bunch of roadies taking over the whole jeep track instead of running in a line.

Just renewed my annual membership for GIBA, best value for money. Investment in a our cycling legacy and our health. I see so many people riding and not paying and bluffing the checkpoints with stories and false names we need to name and shame them and perhaps find a way of better acess control.

i don't see the point in there checkpoint dudes at the routes. we were there early and paid on the way out. but for all he knew we could have come straight off the road without paying and all we did was fill in details on a slip?

how does this control anything.

definitely something needs to be done to make sure people are paying.

whats worse is on leaving and handing the guy our money he gave us a blank look. so i took the money back and went to another guy that happened to be at the gate earlier and gave him the money, he at least realised what it was for. im sure a lot of people would just drive off in this case

I agree they need to control the access points better. Even though I have a membership, I sometimes forget to take it with me, and the guys checking always just let me through if I tell them I have a membership. These people are scum.

I agree 100%. As a monthly member I carry my card but I just say Ive got a card and they let me pass through the checkpoints and others do the same without having a card as the guy manning the checkpoint is lazy and not keen to make any extra effort. We need to collectively find a solution that will work for both the riders and management of giba gorge.

wristbands for non members would probably work quite well.

random colours no pattern and then you keep it on while you are there.

for members, not so easy, but the card seems to be the best idea, but it needs to be policed accordingly

I agree 100%. As a monthly member I carry my card but I just say Ive got a card and they let me pass through the checkpoints and others do the same without having a card as the guy manning the checkpoint is lazy and not keen to make any extra effort. We need to collectively find a solution that will work for both the riders and management of giba gorge.

They are stealing from us & Giba and that really pisses me off :cursing: .

the ONLY way around it is to fence the park - which WONT happen as it covers too many properties all owned by separate individuals ... unless Giba Hire PROPER guards to do their job and check the sneaky rider issue will never be solved.

Unfortunately i dont think the "guards" get paid that much and they actually dont care as they dont understand how it all works

I always ride down to giba and I think its got to a stage where more people ride in then giba then drive to giba and is on the increase. They will park in hillcrest and ride down in big groups so they dont have to pay and its that access which is causing the biggest loss to the park and needs strick control a proper gate and access control. The other access control point on the blue route has been well positioned but badly managed. Maybe adopt a policy of allowing everyone in but no-one leaves without a card or proof of payment, send them back to clubhouse to pay maybe the ride there and back will help to change their mindset.

the ONLY way around it is to fence the park - which WONT happen as it covers too many properties all owned by separate individuals ... unless Giba Hire PROPER guards to do their job and check the sneaky rider issue will never be solved.

Unfortunately i dont think the "guards" get paid that much and they actually dont care as they dont understand how it all works

I think they would only need 3 proper guards there, at the top of the Gravity(blue route) near the quarry, at the top of the long jeep track that takes you into Hillcrest past the big duck pond, and maybe the other guy to do random checks within the park, Stop people and check them, send out a message. Also possibly something better then the card method that can attach to your bike(not a board) so you don't have to be stopped.

I can just see people getting aggressive with the guards though when challenged

we also come accross a bunch of elderly people walking up the gravity trail,I just think they dont realise the danger.A couple of years back on the bmx track a medic was hit by a bike on the track.the rider had a neck injury,the medic ended up with a broken coller bone and rib.