Old mtb restoration

divernick

A couple of weeks ago my cousin gave me an old, broken, unused Trek 440 Alpha bike. The paint was chipped, the chain was rusted solid, the rear axle was broken (only held in place by the skewer, the gears skipped and the bike was pretty much unrideable.

I decided to use this one as a test bench for what I want to do to my SS in terms of a frame strip and polish. I am going to fix up this bike and donate it to someone who would like to get into mountain biking, as part of My initiatve

So far I have taken the bike apart down to the bare frame. There was so much sand around the BB, as if someone had poured sand down the seat tube....

I used Durastrip paint stripper to take off most of the paint. The logos on the bike were decals stuck on under the clearcoat, so I had to strip, peel of decals and strip again.

I ran out of stripper when I was almost finished, so I need to get some more to remove the last few bits of paint.

The plan, once all the paint is gone, is to sand the frame with ever increasing grades of waterpaper, 320, 600, 800, 1000 etc.... and then use burnishing compound to get a nice smooth satin-like finish. Then polish the frame up to a mirror-shine and coat it with a protective wax to prevent tarnishing and corrosion.

I have decided not to clearcoat it because I have seen how moisture gets under clearcoat and can cause corrosion.

Some initial pics:

post-19617-0-92378900-1325145642.jpg

post-19617-0-39556600-1325145643.jpg

post-19617-0-83655400-1325145643.jpg

Looks good :thumbup:

Biulders wharehouse sell a polisher that fits on a drill and comes with polish compound and may work faster than sanding by hand. ;)

Looks good :thumbup:

Biulders wharehouse sell a polisher that fits on a drill and comes with polish compound and may work faster than sanding by hand. ;)

I'm visiting the local Builders today to see what they have. If this frame turns out nice, my personal bike's next!

Anyone have a set of forks that they are willing to donate? The ones that came on this bike are stuffed and I am not sure if I can get parts (MOZO)

For a SS project go with a ridgid fork :D

Like I said in the first post, this project bike is going to someone who wants to get into mountain biking, so I think gears and squish will be the way to go.

I am however seriously considering replacing my own forks (Manitou Six 100mm travel) on my SS with a rigid fork. Probably an alloy one, as opposed to carbon, from Exotic Alloy fork which comes in at 900gr, only 140gr heavier than the carbon version.

386726_10150475448309985_514074984_8640467_1153516537_n.jpg

Finished stripping paint, sanding and started polishing....I have come to appreciate the term "elbow grease"

Finished stripping paint, sanding and started polishing....I have come to appreciate the term "elbow grease"

That looks very good.Try some Brasso for the last polish.

Lyk goedthumbup1.gif

That looks very good.Try some Brasso for the last polish.

I'm using Silvo - apparently brasso isn't good for aluminium... I could be wrong....

Hi Divernick

Impressed with your project.

There is only one product to use on your ally tubing.

Its called Auto Sol. You get it in a tooth paste size tube.

Must buy the one called marine shine.

I only use it on my race car.

You will be impressed. You can get it at Brights.

Hi Divernick

Impressed with your project.

There is only one product to use on your ally tubing.

Its called Auto Sol. You get it in a tooth paste size tube.

Must buy the one called marine shine.

I only use it on my race car.

You will be impressed. You can get it at Brights.

Looks good. What / where is Brights?

Guest Frail4Life

Looks good. What / where is Brights?

Cape Town Shop. Dont think they have Up Country.