Hit and run in Hillcrest…

Tumbleweed

He reported the accident to the Hillcrest police station, describing it as minor.

"The driver's vehicle was recovered on the premises of a panel beater with damages in the front, windscreen and roof."

From the article quoted above.

Sorry guys, I've almost stopped reading these threads cos there's ALWAYS a bunch who start going on about how it could only have been the cyclist's fault...

Please cut the rubbish. All you'll get is more measures that make it difficult to cycle and less preventative policing. Is that what you want??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know how the cyclists are doing?

Bump…Would also like to know…can't find anything in today's papers. The driver was supposed to have appeared in court on Friday.

One thing the news24 report left out is the reason for the delay in tracking down the driver. Apparently the registered owner was a PMB resident, but the car had been sold privately and the ownership not transferred. “The 21-year-old current owner was traced to New Holmes."

Edit: Just got some info: Snell has apparently been discharged from hospital. The magistrate put some stringent bail conditions on the 21-year-old student at UKZN. He'll be back in court on February 6. The full story will appear in today's Daily News.

21 year old and that time of the morning, id be surprised if he was not under the influence.

i was 21 once and did many stupid things, luckily none so severe.

and as for slowing down when cars come. i do it, regardless of the gradient. ill even stop and move off the road if i feel im in a area where cars tend to cut the corner or there is minimal room to cycle. so i wouldn.t discredit the statement.

The other thing is that the Hill is 3 lanes wide, most people drive up in the middle lane or fast lane, how could they have seen the car coming, the area in which they were hit is a blind corner, generally you don't hear or see a car there until it's almost on top of you - unless I got the info wrong and they were actually facing the traffic!?

and as for slowing down when cars come. i do it, regardless of the gradient. ill even stop and move off the road if i feel im in a area where cars tend to cut the corner or there is minimal room to cycle. so i wouldn.t discredit the statement.

Having commuted early in the morning, I have often been aware of cars approaching from the rear both because of the noise and because of the road being lit up from behind me.

Having commuted early in the morning, I have often been aware of cars approaching from the rear both because of the noise and because of the road being lit up from behind me.

+1

The guy - Nevlyn Mannicum - was originally released by the cops on R500 bail after his arrest. The magistrate ordered him to report to his local police station three times a week. He is also not allowed to apply for a passport until the matter is finalised.

I'm not suggesting no cyclists do this, but knowing the section of road where they rode, and knowing the habits of cyclists in general, I personally do find that this part of his statement is questionable - please note I'm not laying the blame for the accident at their feet!!. I commuted by bike for nearly 2 years 3 times a week, a round trip of about 38km, and there have been more occasions than I care to count when cars have crept up on my out of the blue, especially on parts where I'm focusing on pushing up a hill or something, it happens.