Hit and run in Hillcrest…

Tumbleweed

Agreed, hence my post.

I ride here often and am worried that no example will be made of a "HIT AND RUN" incident.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I am going to be the Devil's Advocate here (so flame away, I only take it personally if you don't share your turkish delight with me), however, let me begin by saying that the cowardly driver of the motor vehicle should be thrown inside, and allowed to watch as the key is ground to powder!

Firstly, the ER24 report was logged 05h00! The actual accident occurred approximately 30minutes before that ie. 04h30, and already the cyclists were half way up Field's Hill. In the dark. (we shall come back to that.)And in the mist (as in two days ago)

Now let me describe the geography for those far removed.

Besides being notorious for vehicle accident, Fields Hill westbound (UP)has three lanes, narrowing to two at the upper end.

The left lane, for almost two thirds of the entire climb has a cliff face on the left. For almost the ENTIRE length of the climb the road margin between the yellow line and the 'gutter' is about 800mm wide max and impossible to walk (let alone ride) in.

There are at least 3 blind corners. One severe. To the extent that driving a car around same corner, at between 60-80kph, requires emergency braking if one should encounter an 18 wheeler wheezing it's way up the hill at approximately 5-8Kph (another debate entirely).

I would not WALK up Fields Hill in broad daylight.

Now back to the 04h30 issue. Not too early to ride, sure, not too late either. We start at 05h00 to 05h30 and have to ride 5.5km of fairly narrow tar to the bush. 5.5 km that I cover with a BIG flashy red light at the rear, and a bright flashy white one on my lid. 5.5 km of hyper alert, either way. And still drivers cock up. This morning it was raining. 50% had no lights on. One shot the stop sign in front of us. An Armed Security driver played silly buggers because he could not engage his brain fast enough, all this whilst I had constant eye contact with him, but admittedly was attempting to merge in a way that he likely could never comprehend, so, shared blame there.

So we have to acknowledge that a significant number of drivers are just not able/willing to cope with something small and visually static (we will come back to that too) in their path.

Now let us add to that already sketchy scenario.

To get to Giba, we drive (it's too far!) at early bells. In the dark.(b.) You can not believe the number of lone cyclists, road and MTB, who are spinning on the tar with either NO lights, or one of those ridiculous single LED Knog excuse things! Or the number of large group rides; road, who come barreling along, full lane covered, skirting the center line. Some with light, others without.

I'm a cyclist, in a car, and I have to be hyper alert for cyclists who obviously have (a) no regard for their own well being (B) are willing to lay the responsibility for their irresponsibility at my door and (3) still have the temerity to cycle 1,5m or more into the lane.

It works both ways people. The 'other' thread about road hog group riders bears this out.

Combine these two factors, and there is only going to be disaster.

As cyclists and drivers we have to change our attitudes, and face certain realities.

Here are two:

1. At 04h30, most drivers on the road are either (a) still waking up (b.) pissed as farts (3) both.

2. At ANY TIME OF DAY, a cyclist, moving ahead and away from a driven vehicle can appear to be a static object ie. read street pole or similar, particularly if the driver is not paying attention, or glancing ahead because of other distractions. This of course is in a scenario where clear forward vision is possible, and bad light, mist, or blind corners are not involved. That perception changes completely if a rapidly flashing or reflective device is attached to that object.

So, whilst I wish these folks a very speedy recovery, and am glad they survived this accident, I also sincerely wish that they learn from it. It just is not worth it, really. Who's fault it ultimately was will not bring them back when cyclist versus car.

Last point:

Cyclist. Use the bloody flashing light! A REAL one. It only weights a knat-fart anyway.

Driver. If visibility is bad PUT YOUR BLOODY LIGHTS ON! It will not flatten the battery.

Edit: I have no idea why the last part is all bold. Only parts are supposed to be, so pay attention.

The above is all drivel. Vehicles need to be cautious of other road users and pedestrians. Many South Africans have zero regard for other people and care less for the laws. We need harsher penalties for things. We need people to fear the consequences of their illegal actions. The driver injured someone and drove off. That's criminal. Worst thing is that we have to share our roads with these cretins. No amount of 'mythbuster style' dissection of the events and how they happened can take away the fact that this driver did what he did. By now the driver could have fixed his car (painted/panelbeaten/replaced the plates), there's no hard evidence, and justice will not be served. This makes me sick to the core.

Many South Africans have zero regard for other people and care less for the laws. We need harsher penalties for things. We need people to fear the consequences of their illegal actions.

Agreed on the point about the disregard. However, what we DO need is for the boys in blue (or Khaki) to actually enforce the laws. Now THAT would work wonders...!

I don't agree with everything in Drongo's post, but there are a few things he's correct about. One of them is Field's Hill at that time of the morning. The area where the cyclists were hit (the spot was explained to me so I could be wrong) is an extremely dangerous spot to be in. There is almost no shoulder what so ever, and the corner is blind. On top of that there's a rain gutter/channel that forces you away from the small shoulder as well. That particular section is dangerous, more so if you're on a bike at 04h30 in the morning when it's easy to not be seen. And to make matters worse, there's a turnoff not far from there that forces you to move over on the blind corner... quite frankly I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more fatalities there.

As much as the driver is at fault, the cyclists also need to step up here. If you're going to ride in these spots, then expect the worst and light yourself up like a Christmas tree - or better yet, find a safer route rather than the busy unsafe one. You want drivers to be more responsible on the road, then we as cyclists must be more responsible as well. I just drove past 3 mountain bikers on the road with no lights (today in Hillcrest it's overcast and rainy) that I only noticed at all because the cyclist at the back was riding so slowly he was wobbling. If the guy lost his balance and fell into the road, well the "honey sucker" in front of me would've killed him.

Not excusing the driver in this accident at all, he needs to be arrested and imprisoned for a very long time, but cyclists also got to start acting with a bit of common sense here as well.

Glad they are ok!

I hope they get that B.....D and F... him up good!

People like that doesn't deserve a licence

Unless we as joe and jill public uphold our part of the contract as citizens, part of which is to obey the laws, all the enforcement you throw at it will do sweet fa.

If each little jack and jill obeyed each and every law they encountered on a daily basis? Now THAT would work wonders.

I was going to add that in but chose to leave it out. In a first world country, people police themselves. If the sigh says stop, they stop! Speed limit is 100, they do 100. It all boils down to a lack of respect for the law and each other. Everybody wants to be policed instead of policing themselves. As you pointed out, if each individual actually obeyed the laws, we wouldn't need policemen. We all know that isn't going to happen though... HOWEVER, if you had a policeman at an intersection notorious for robot jumpers and for a week, they shut down a lane to coral transgressors and fined them (and followed up when they didn't pay!), how long do you think the robot jumping would last for...? Roll that out to illegal parking, speeding, unroadworthy vehicles etc and we would be golden ;)

Unless the cyclists were riding illegally, then your (and the aussie's) entire argument is hogwash.

Apologies, but it is.

No more of this victim mentality that says, yes, I know the drivers are arseholes and will kill me, so I will meet them half way, by, well, staying away from them.

Yes, I get that metal car thing beats a bicycle in a rock/paper/scissors kind of way, but we need to change the attitude.

Lets start getting political about this.

Enough is enough. Let's start marching to municipal/provincial/national government offices. Let's find some high profile, well connected to government people who ride, and get them to start lobbying. And failing that, let's get someone like Tokyo and the likes to start riding. Let's change things instead of literally lying down again.

Sorry, boet, I really can't stand the attitude of your and drongo and some other's remarks.

I'm just saying that cyclists need to be a aware of where they ride and how they're seen by drivers... how is that hogwash? I'm saying to perhaps ride on roads that aren't as busy as Fields Hill is (a route that's regularly used by truckers and cars to avoid the toll at Marianhill) because I believe that the safety of cyclists is paramount.. how is that hogwash?

I'm saying to cyclists to cyclists to take responsibility for their actions like we as cyclists expect drivers to take responsibility for their actions... how is that hogwash?

As for getting political, I'm all for that. And the very first thing motorists are going to say is cycle in a responsible way, light yourself up so that we can see you especially in the early mornings and late evenings, stay off roads that are major motorways because it's dangerous, ride in single file as much as you can, and wear fluorescent jackets once again so we can see you! Cyclists are in the minority here, you want to be accepted then you have to treat other road users with respect.

I'm just saying that cyclists need to be a aware of where they ride and how they're seen by drivers... how is that hogwash? I'm saying to perhaps ride on roads that aren't as busy as Fields Hill is (a route that's regularly used by truckers and cars to avoid the toll at Marianhill) because I believe that the safety of cyclists is paramount.. how is that hogwash?

I'm saying to cyclists to cyclists to take responsibility for their actions like we as cyclists expect drivers to take responsibility for their actions... how is that hogwash?

As for getting political, I'm all for that. And the very first thing motorists are going to say is cycle in a responsible way, light yourself up so that we can see you especially in the early mornings and late evenings, stay off roads that are major motorways because it's dangerous, ride in single file as much as you can, and wear fluorescent jackets once again so we can see you! Cyclists are in the minority here, you want to be accepted then you have to treat other road users with respect.

My sincerest apologies. Lest this turn into another run with a Dangle. I am sorry.

everyone gets to have their own opinion and you didn't say anything I thought was inappropriate - dingle and u got your own thing going on a separate thread. nothing to be apologise for.

To get back to the matter at hand, quoting the Daily News:

The two were on one of van Heerden’s training routes, which vary between 45 and 75km, when a white car approached them from behind.

“I warned Lauren to be cautious – we usually do that when we see a car approaching,” he warned 28-year-old Snell, who is from Cape Town.

They decided to slow down and let the vehicle pass.

The Northdene resident and CycleLab member said that the car did not even try to slow down to avoid them – and after hitting them the driver sped away.

“Our bikes were well-lit and even though it wasn’t as bright as it is during the day, we would still be easily visible from 200 to 300 metres,” he said.

I do, however, get what you're saying about busy routes, etc.

So basically they did everything within reason and then some.

From the account above and his subsequent actions, this little c___ must be charged with attempted murder and jailed as such. If I had my way he'd be hanging! P O S ... Actually no, even *** has more value on this earth!

To get back to the matter at hand, quoting the Daily News:

The two were on one of van Heerden’s training routes, which vary between 45 and 75km, when a white car approached them from behind.

“I warned Lauren to be cautious – we usually do that when we see a car approaching,” he warned 28-year-old Snell, who is from Cape Town.

They decided to slow down and let the vehicle pass.

The Northdene resident and CycleLab member said that the car did not even try to slow down to avoid them – and after hitting them the driver sped away.

“Our bikes were well-lit and even though it wasn’t as bright as it is during the day, we would still be easily visible from 200 to 300 metres,” he said.

I do, however, get what you're saying about busy routes, etc.

I wasn't there, but I don't believe any of that for a second. I've ridden up Field's Hill before, it's long and steep (well for me anyway). First off, nobody slows down on a hill like that, to slow down would be to almost come to a complete stop and people riding the hill tend to put their heads down and concentrate on pushing up it, and since these were cyclists on a training ride, I doubt slowing down was in their minds at all. The other thing is that the Hill is 3 lanes wide, most people drive up in the middle lane or fast lane, how could they have seen the car coming, the area in which they were hit is a blind corner, generally you don't hear or see a car there until it's almost on top of you - unless I got the info wrong and they were actually facing the traffic!? As for lighting, I'd like to know what exactly he was "lit" up with. At the time of morning, wear a reflective vest or something. As for being seen 200/300m away, it depends on the section of the road they were on as well as the weather. His whole statement sounds like a case of "but it wasn't my fault" guilt after the fact.

The driver of the vehicle is still at fault, and should be charged with attempted murder at the very least. But honestly the cyclist should have kept quiet, to me it sounds like he's covering his butt.