Carbon creek after trainer mount

ebenvn

I used my time trial bike on the indoor trainer, and from then it developed a creek :angry: (sounds like its the carbon on the bottom tube, near the BB). What causes this and how can I remove it?

Start by cleaning it. Especially near the rear derailleur/hanger. Take the hanger off, wash it, grease it, but it back on, and clean the skewer.

Thanks, I will give it a go. Someone suggested that they will have to remove the BB and replacve it... :huh:

Thanks, I will give it a go. Someone suggested that they will have to remove the BB and replacve it... :huh:

It might just be the BB threads. You can remove it, clean it and the put grease, Loctite or thread tape (depending on what the manual says) on the threads before reinstalling it.

I also had an incredibly loud, irritating creaking sound on my road bike. I resolved it in two steps. First I found that my skewer wasn't very tight. After adjusting it to clamp harder, the noise was reduced a lot. Next, I applied a thin layer of Copper Slip between the frame and the hub. After that the bike was silent.

Putting your bike on a trainer meant that you had to fiddle with the skewer, so maybe the above applies to your problem.

I also had an incredibly loud, irritating creaking sound on my road bike. I resolved it in two steps. First I found that my skewer wasn't very tight. After adjusting it to clamp harder, the noise was reduced a lot. Next, I applied a thin layer of Copper Slip between the frame and the hub. After that the bike was silent.

Putting your bike on a trainer meant that you had to fiddle with the skewer, so maybe the above applies to your problem.

That is a good possibility. It is amazing how the creek from a skewer can "travel" through thr frame and make it sound like it is coming from the headset or BB

From spending months trying to sort a BB noise, going to multiple LBS's etc, I can confirm that a BB creak is almost NEVER the BB ;) . As with the suggestions above, check: seatpost (even down to paste on the carbon ones), pedal and skewers.

My BB noise ended up being the seatpost.

I also had this irritating noise on my carbon bike, turned out to be that the rear drop-outs were just dry and needed a bit of oil spread over themhappy.png