I-Link or Nokon

Racer X

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johan, its not a simple steel gear cable that Shimano make,its a stainless steel gear cable designed and made differently from all the copies on the market to work with Shimano components in conjunction with Shimano outer sis casing.On a similar basis Shimano spend millions of Dollars designing and perfecting their chainrings and cassettes to work 100% and offer the consumer the best shifting performance on the market.There are copies which you have your opinion  on but i can assure you that from our experience Shimano is the easiest to set up and offer the best allround value for money.

Johan, this is a website where all parties are members whom express there views in  a way which will entice more information to be sought by cyclists not only from your point of view, its an adult site so please refrain from posting childish remarks on it .

So what are you saying? Shimano cables but the cable housing is your choice or Shimano cables and Shimano housing?

Either way, I couldn't give a toss what cable is running in my housing but you are going to have a tough time convincing me that Nokon or I-Link cable housing is bad for my STI's, especially when they are in use at the pinnacle of this sport...

So, what are you saying?

Pantani, if you read the postings regarding this topic in the HUb you yourself said "dont let steven read this topic"I mearly put in my opinion thats all i am not dictating or preaching and its a free world you can use exactly which products you want, all i am adding is my opinion without aggression and our experience with Shimano product.We receive on average 3 Sti levers a day with the cables jammed in them and 99% of the time they are not Shimano cables

But wouldnt that come from bad installation from the user? I struggled for ages tryign to work you first how i get to the cable to remove it and then secondly it took ages to put it back together(but that was due to me not being clever and not remembering)   smiley9.gif Pilks2007-12-31 10:07:55

Pantani' date=' if you read the postings regarding this topic in the HUb you yourself said "dont let steven read this topic"I mearly put in my opinion thats all i am not dictating or preaching and its a free world you can use exactly which products you want, all i am adding is my opinion without aggression and our experience with Shimano product.We receive on average 3 Sti levers a day with the cables jammed in them and 99% of the time they are not Shimano cables [/quote']

Kewl, and nobody is being aggressive, so it's your opinion, through your experience, that the Shimano STI generally doesn't operate well, to the point of malfunctioning, if you don't use genuine OEM Shimano cable...

I'm glad that you have shared this experience with us because it is something I didn't know, and did not consider it before I installed my I-Link cables.

So, would you hazard a guess as to what cable CSC is running inside their Nokon Brake Cables? Just out of curiosity?

PANTANI COME AND VISIT OUR WAREHOUSE AND I WILL SHOW YOU SOME THINGS WHICH WILL AMAZE YOU REGARDING SHIFTING PEFORMANCE.OUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE IS TO HELP YOU THE CONSUMER AT THE END OF THE DAY.WHAT CSC ARE USING IN THEIR BRAKE CABLES IS THEIR CHOICE ,SHIMANO AS MENTIONED SPEND BIG BUCKS PERFECTING THEIR PRODUCT AND MAKE SURE IT WORKS 100% OFFERING YOU THE CONSUMER SAFETY AND PEACE OF MIND.

PILKS WE GET ON AVERAGE 3 STI LE VERS A DAY WITH JAMMED CABLES,DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE STI LEVER AS ITS A SEALED UNIT,SEND IT TO YOUR DEALER WHOM WILL SEND IT TO US FOR EITHER REPAIR,WARRANTY REPLACEMENT OR ASSISTANCE.MAINLY JAMMED CABLES ARE FROM INFERIOR QUALITY CABLES WHERE THE HEADS HAVE BROKEN OFF THE END OF THE CABLES.

RGDS SM

Ok cool. So by having removed the cable and replaced it my self i have lost my warrenty. But i replaced it with shimano cable!

Do campag have the same policy ?

No warranty lost if you replaced your cables , however if you opened the lever yourself thats another story.

Good you replaced it with a Shimano cable.

rgds sm

Well i replaced it with myself however nobody can tell ! Can i get away with it assuming nothing is wrong ?

What happens if my LBS stuffs it up , does this result in me losing my warrenty ?

I have, and know of PLENTY other guys, been using I-Links very relieably for a very long period of time. In fact, I use Aligator Super Fortress cables and Aligator disc pads on my MTB and haven't had any issues with them either.

I have no doubt that Shimano cables work the deal with Shimano STI's, but I can't imagine other cables (at this end of the price range) stuffing up STI's.

I must admit that the last couple of months my Aligator cables AND housings have been fitted to Record...obviously NO issues there.

and just to think that I started off asking wether Nokon or I-link was better.....LOL

Steven - At the begining of the year I was a mechanic at a reputable bike shop. I took apart plently of shimano shifters, both mtb and road. I never had any sort of warrantee troubles with the local rep and he would allow me to order the nessecray part if needed. This way our customers were riding within 2 days instead of two weeks. Again my 2c