Carbon frame on bike rack

zaShadow

Someone once commented on whether I'm not worried about puting a carbon MTB frame on my Thule bike rack while transporting. The rack fits on the towbar and the bike hangs, on the one side, on the down tube and the other side, while fixed to the seat tube, rests on the seat stay (full sus).

Is there any reason to be concerned about this?

Does your bike come with instructions/cautions on how not to transport it? Follow those. Beyond than that, dont sweat it. As with any bike of any material, just check if the rack scratches the frame during transit. RUBBING is fine, where it takes the paint off (which is not really fine, if only out aesthetic concern, nothing structural), just not scratches caused by tough, sharp edges. generally, racks, especially brands of renown, do not tend to damage bikes, no matter the bike.

I am curious though: exactly what was the context for this 'someone's' concern? Do they know something rack manufacturers dont, or what?

Does your bike come with instructions/cautions on how not to transport it? Follow those. Beyond than that, dont sweat it. As with any bike of any material, just check if the rack scratches the frame during transit. RUBBING is fine, where it takes the paint off (which is not really fine, if only out aesthetic concern, nothing structural), just not scratches caused by tough, sharp edges. generally, racks, especially brands of renown, do not tend to damage bikes, no matter the bike.

I am curious though: exactly what was the context for this 'someone's' concern? Do they know something rack manufacturers dont, or what?

He he, no. At first I thought nothing of it. But since then, everytime I put my bike on the rack I recall that conversation.

Thanks.