Looking for mechanic for Epic

G-Unit

My partner and I are looking for a mechanic to service our bikes during the Epic. Any techies out there with space for 2 more, without trying to solve all their financial problems in 1 go?

what have you been quoted just out of interest?

No quotes yet. Cycle Lab are charging R 3700, which is nuts.

A friend of mine went down to service at Epic 2 years and charged about R 1500. That is about what i was hoping to pay.

Hopeful, probably...

Why would anyone want to pay that? What is there to service, Your bike gets cleaned for free. Put new cables in before the epic starts and get it serviced. If you cant adjust your gears yourself during the epic IF needed then well then you deserve to pay R1500 for somebody to do it for you :) . I did the epic without touching my bike, except to put lube on my chain.

If something major happens i'm sure somebody there will help you.

Edited by koukie

Speak to Andre at Epic Sports or Eben at West Rand Cycles!

Thanks, will do. The guys at Epic sports helped me at the tech zone at Barberton, and they were really good.

Just afraid of being absolutely FUBAR after a long day, and then sukkeling to find someone to help with a major mechanical.

Stirling Junior and Calvin will look after us at the Epic. SJ owns Revolution Cycles (021 423 5191) and Calvin is a freelance mechanic. They have the right attitude, repair rather than replace. They want no more than 10 bikes. I recommend them highly.

Same question again, Why?? If you cant do about a 1000km without a service you are gonna pay. If everything is serviced before no issue. What can go, Pads, Chain (not really, but if you want to conserve drive train maybe replace midway), shock (all the big boys are there. My Manitou started loosing air one time and it was sorted overnight at less than a bike shop normally charges).

done a few and paid for all the bells and whistles the first time and never again.

DIck, you're actually right. I did the Pioneer last year without a mechanic's package (Wrenchworks were the only mechanics and I won't use them again).

SJ and Calvin are sharing space with my wife who is doing Massage for 4 teams, so I have access when I need work done on the bike.

Hmmmm... Not too sure now. Got a few prices in and looking at about R 3k. Listening to you guys, I might just wing it.

You may be getting a bit of hate mail early in April if the **** goes sour!!

Otherwise, I'll owe you a beer or two...

Hmmmm... Not too sure now. Got a few prices in and looking at about R 3k. Listening to you guys, I might just wing it.

You may be getting a bit of hate mail early in April if the **** goes sour!!

Otherwise, I'll owe you a beer or two...

If you can afford it, get back up. Don't fool around. This race takes huge financial and physical effort to get to the start. Unless you're very confident with the tech stuff, take your chances. I wouldn't, as the Epic will put your bike through tremendous hammering. If **** is going to happen it is going to happen on this race. Even just a proper clean and check every day will make you sleep better and ride wit confidence.

only my 2c's.

Why not go do one of the Yellow saddle courses/ or a bike maintanence course, that way you can do it all yourself, and the knowledge will last you a lifetime and be worth every cent. Just my 2c.

There are loads of mechanics there. Don't pay for things you don't need. They work through the night so your bike will get fixed if it is fixable. Less stress my friend. If you can get a portable pool for the 7 days I will fix your bike for you...

Edited by Top Fuel

There are loads of mechanics there. Don't pay for things you don't need. They work through the night so your bike will get fixed if it is fixable. Less stress my friend. If you can get a portable pool for the 7 days I will fix your bike for you...

Portable pool in the Cape for seven days? I tell you what - why don't I swap you? You ride the stupid race and I'll lie around for 8 hours a day and wait for you to get back, so I can wash your bike?

Eish, getting up at 4:30 every morning to go ride is starting to wear a little...