POWER METERS: Crank, Hub or Pedal-based?

'Dale

Does the Garmin edge 500 head unit provide this smoothing?

Not yet. It's scheduled for a firmware update later this year. At the moment, all you get is simple averaging. The Edge 800 does support NP, TSS etc.

Has anyone done a cost/benefit analysis between quarq and powertap (lets say PRO). How much cheaper is the powertap??

A Powertap Elite+ will cost around R8,500, once built up with a basic box rim such as a Mavic Open Pro. A 2012 Pro will be about R10,200 with the same rim. The cost will be higher if building with bladed spokes etc.

A SRAM S975 Quarq will cost around R16,500.

If you're only going to want power from one wheel, then the Powertap is the cheapest option. As soon as you start wanting to use more than one wheel (e.g. box section for training, deep section for racing), the Quarq will be cheaper.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone done a cost/benefit analysis between quarq and powertap (lets say PRO). How much cheaper is the powertap??

current pricing for Bicycle Power Trading, www.bicyclepower.co.za, is as follows:

2011 Pro+ PT built into either a Alcyon rim (24H) Mavic Open Pro (28 and 32) or CycleOps branded rim (32) is R8895.00

2011 SL+ PT built into either an Alcyon rim (24H) Mavic Open Pro (28 and 32) or CycleOps branded rim (32) is R11 195.00

2012 Pro HUB ONLY R8895.00

2012 G3 HUB ONLY R12 195.00

24H Alcyon rim built with spokes add R1275.00

28H Mavic Open Pro built with spokes add R1250.00

32H Mavic or CycleOps built with spokes add R1300.00

turn around time roughly 1 day if we dont already have wheels built up. all prices include VAT and a 1 year warranty.

Not yet. It's scheduled for a firmware update later this year. At the moment, all you get is simple averaging. The Edge 800 does support NP, TSS etc.

A Powertap Elite+ will cost around R8,500, once built up with a basic box rim such as a Mavic Open Pro. A 2012 Pro will be about R10,200 with the same rim. The cost will be higher if building with bladed spokes etc.

A SRAM S975 Quarq will cost around R16,500.

If you're only going to want power from one wheel, then the Powertap is the cheapest option. As soon as you start wanting to use more than one wheel (e.g. box section for training, deep section for racing), the Quarq will be cheaper.

Elite+ no longer avalible from Bicycle Power Trading.

Hi Edam

I'm just trying to get my head around the edge 500 with a PT. Considering buying a PT. If as you say the Edge 500 does not provide smoothing, how does one accurately do intervals using the Edge 500.

I mean, say you need to do say 2m intervals at say 300W. If there is no smoothing your wattage as displayed by the Edge 500 will be all over the place in such a short interval, making it difficult to maintain a wattage in a pre-deteremined interval.

Hi Edam

I'm just trying to get my head around the edge 500 with a PT. Considering buying a PT. If as you say the Edge 500 does not provide smoothing, how does one accurately do intervals using the Edge 500.

I mean, say you need to do say 2m intervals at say 300W. If there is no smoothing your wattage as displayed by the Edge 500 will be all over the place in such a short interval, making it difficult to maintain a wattage in a pre-deteremined interval.

What I do is have a field with "Avg lap power" and keep that up at the target for the 2min.

Hi Edam

Pretty much what Spidey said. I don't use NP for short intervals - because of the 30s averaging, it only starts displaying useful values 30s into the interval. NP is more valuable for tracking long intervals such as 20min trials over variable terrain. It's more of a summary figure than an instant tracking tool.

On all Edges with power, there is a PWR_3s and PWR_30s data field. This gives a simple 3s or 30s moving average power. I find the 3s one to be a good balance between smoothing and responsiveness for tracking current power.

Edited by Edam

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you still deciding...

I have a Sram Red Quarq Cinco 172.5 BB30 39/53 that I will be selling in the next week or two...*Ahem Puncheur this is perfect for you*

Only 6 months old, torqued, and calibrated. Perfectly operational and rings are in very good condition.

Just saw this now...

Will check in with you, Tarmac.

:thumbup:

Just saw this Thread as I am interested in a Power Meter. Anybody out there have any info on this Cycleops product? http://www.cycleops.com/en/products/power-meters/powercal.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=25

Looking at prices of PM's and this device comes in way below the hub or crank systems.

I have tested this unit along with the new joule and joule gps, still allot more R&D needed on the system, it requires constant calibration on a system that can handle power, I.e. a power beam or power tap on an indoor trainer, accuracy levels are expected to be between 5-10% But nothing confirmed yet.

However CycleOps make it very clear if you want a true power meters accuracy like the power tap system of 1.5% then a power tap system is the only way, however if you are looking to put a rough estimate to your training and want to know how hard you have worked and track performance stats over the long term the power cal is designed for this market, visit www.bicyclepower.co.za for RRP availability is still to be confirmed however latest update from CycleOps themselves is end June.

It will work together with the likes of Garmin once Garmin have updated their firmware, as for the CycleOps joule 2.0, joule 1.0 and the joule GPS the power cal will be fully compatible.

Thanks for the information, appreciate it. I have been riding and training to my Heart Rate for the last 2 years, but want to switch to Watt training and am only starting to research what's out there. Prices are high so I want to do my homework.

I am looking for a PM for my Mtb only. Is it cheaper to buy overseas (asking, but will start researching from today)? Cycleops, SRM and Power2Max. I don't want to have to buy a whole new crank, I see the P2Max system can be attached to a standard crank system. Costs R 7000.

I'll go back through this Thread as well, but if someone can point out whether certain systems only work on road/Tri bikes I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the information, appreciate it. I have been riding and training to my Heart Rate for the last 2 years, but want to switch to Watt training and am only starting to research what's out there. Prices are high so I want to do my homework.

I am looking for a PM for my Mtb only. Is it cheaper to buy overseas (asking, but will start researching from today)? Cycleops, SRM and Power2Max. I don't want to have to buy a whole new crank, I see the P2Max system can be attached to a standard crank system. Costs R 7000.

I'll go back through this Thread as well, but if someone can point out whether certain systems only work on road/Tri bikes I would appreciate it.

Just so you know, the P2Max can only work with a current crank if you have a removable spider and the matching crank to one listed on the website.

I would strongly suggest NOT buying overseas as power meters do go wrong and when they do you want the after sales support. I'm not too sure how reliable the quarq is on the MTB same goes with power2max.

The powercal could be a good introduction to power and how power training will improve performance

Is it cheaper to buy overseas (asking, but will start researching from today)?

Quarq and Powertap prices on current units are in a similar ballpark here and overseas. The local units might be a bit more expensive, but I think the extra cost is worth the CPA protection and warranty support that you gain by buying local. The major exception is that overseas shops often have big discounts on previous generation units, which local stores tend not to do

I don't know about Cape Cycle Systems (SRAM/Quarq), but Bicycle Power will charge a premium to service current units that were bought overseas.

I don't know about Cape Cycle Systems (SRAM/Quarq), but Bicycle Power will charge a premium to service current units that were bought overseas.

Was planning to get one in the USA during an upcoming trip.

:wacko: