POWER METERS: Crank, Hub or Pedal-based?

'Dale

The long awaited Garmin / Vector system, is that only going to be a road pedal option?

Bummer if it is, just started using my mtb shoes / pedals (Time atac) on my road bike...

That's all I know of, Swissvan.

Looks good.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my P2Max is arriving tomorrow, will try and get it fitted on Monday, otherwise it will be done on Thursday and ready for the weekends racing :thumbup:

So my P2Max is arriving tomorrow, will try and get it fitted on Monday, otherwise it will be done on Thursday and ready for the weekends racing :thumbup:

Cool!

:thumbup:

So, how critical is it to have coaching input when using a power meter?

Can one analyze one's one results and move from there?

Is there specific expertise required to analyze one's PM data sheet?

'Dale.

I have not had the privilege to have a coach so everything I do is self inflicted. ;)

That said, I have had a look at a couple of training programs and you pay a lot of money for not so much input.

Go read books. LOTS of them.

Hunter Alan talks a lot of sense some times. He is bringing out his second book.

First one is very good and I got a lot of info from that

Have a look at this web page. Very knowledgeable.

http://www.bikemaxpower.com/content/trainingwithpower

'Dale.

I have not had the privilege to have a coach so everything I do is self inflicted. ;)

That said, I have had a look at a couple of training programs and you pay a lot of money for not so much input.

Go read books. LOTS of them.

Hunter Alan talks a lot of sense some times. He is bringing out his second book.

First one is very good and I got a lot of info from that

Have a look at this web page. Very knowledgeable.

http://www.bikemaxpo...ainingwithpower

Thanx for that reference!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Can one analyze one's one results and move from there?

Is there specific expertise required to analyze one's PM data sheet?

From my personal experience, coaching input is useful from a program structure and time management perspective, but this would be the case for HR or power-based training. I don't really have the time or inclination to sit down and create my own program.

You should do some reading about power meters and power training - 'Training and Racing with a Power Meter' by Allen & Coggan is an essential read in my opinion. 'The Cyclist's Training Bible' by Joe Friel is also a useful read.

Coggan and Allen recommend just riding with the PM for the first couple of weeks, just to get used to it and see what it does. From then on, you'd need to have some kind of structured program to get maximum benefit from the PM. If you do the reading it's certainly possible to create your own program or modify an already available one.

Got my new pm yesterday :clap:

Getting it fitted sometime this week and will post pics of it on the bike then.

post-26212-0-60485000-1330272767.jpg

post-26212-0-37042600-1330272821.jpg

Congrats, Zac!

Cool...

Don't you think the colour will go well with your C'dale? :devil:

Edit: Typo

Edited by Zac.A

I have hub based Dale, Power Tap. Contact these guys for prices http://www.cadencecycling.co.za/shop/products.php. I chose power tap because it is the cheapest and as fit for purpose as the others.

I agree with the books, Joe Friel - Training Bible, and Coggan - Training with Power (my copy of Coggan is on its way). I download and analyse through Training Peaks.com, also do trsaining programmes etc through that site. Annual fee of +-R900

Don't you think the colour will go well with your C'dale? :devil:

Edit: Typo

I agree fully.

Now, hand it over, young man!

I have hub based Dale, Power Tap. Contact these guys for prices http://www.cadencecycling.co.za/shop/products.php. I chose power tap because it is the cheapest and as fit for purpose as the others.

I agree with the books, Joe Friel - Training Bible, and Coggan - Training with Power (my copy of Coggan is on its way). I download and analyse through Training Peaks.com, also do trsaining programmes etc through that site. Annual fee of +-R900

Thanx much!

Thanx for all the input.

Very useful.

I have a while before I can make my final buying decision.

Right now in the vision:

Garmin Vector (still to be released) or Sram Quargy (with Red crank - shaxxy)