99er entry fee R280

fandacious

Hey Geno, that is a R20 saving if you have'nt overslept, and the added bonus is that Hellshoogte is not close the ascent of Vissershok. I remember a pic of you here on the Hub going uphill last year, looking very strong. Go Geno, go! :thumbup:

I would have ridden this race with Geno, but he is off to the land of 'snail eaters'. :wacko: So now riding solo to test the 'ol body.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I'll do it. Too pricy, too far to go and too early to get up + not a league race so might as well get some sleep in and do something with the family.

The ridiculous price of this event is why I boycott it.

but you ride the cobra that is R120 for only 83Km....... the 99'er works out to R178 for the 123Km using the price per Km of the Cobra - and it's not an Argus seeding race.

If you rode the Cobra as a league rider it would have cost you R267.81 for the distance of the 99'er taking a per Km comparison. (120 entry plus 60.72 admin fee)

The reason I didn't ride the cobra.

Hey Geno, that is a R20 saving if you have'nt overslept, and the added bonus is that Hellshoogte is not close the ascent of Vissershok. I remember a pic of you here on the Hub going uphill last year, looking very strong. Go Geno, go! :thumbup:

Yeah...

3 days after returning from Los Angeles, I hit the race chutes in 2011.

Pretty decent result, considering.

On another note, 190 moola is comparable to the 170 at the Burger.

If you snooze, you lose. :whistling:

but you ride the cobra that is R120 for only 83Km....... the 99'er works out to R178 for the 123Km using the price per Km of the Cobra - and it's not an Argus seeding race.

If you rode the Cobra as a league rider it would have cost you R267.81 for the distance of the 99'er taking a per Km comparison. (120 entry plus 60.72 admin fee)

The reason I didn't ride the cobra.

I think the late entry fee is nonsense not the initial entry fee.

I don't think I'll do it. Too pricy, too far to go and too early to get up + not a league race so might as well get some sleep in and do something with the family.

If I was a League rider, this would be my weekend off!

Laaik a mid-season lil' break.

4 races, 4 Sundays. That's tough.

ooohhh my goodness - do it / don't do it - this is still one tough race which I don't think will disappear off the calendar (way tougher than the Burger). I can also roll out of bed and I'm at the start :-)

Edited by dommisse

I think the late entry fee is nonsense not the initial entry fee.

Yeah, I agree there - an extra 90 ZAR is a bit steep but it may have a roll on effect as mentioned earlier.

- I know for a fact that they have to provide one medic per (quantity) of cyclists. So if you enter late, they have to round up more medics that may not have been available for the race and the organisers have to pay a 'late' fee for them to be there.

- More cyclists = more water. Read the thread about lack of water in yesterday's race thread.

ooohhh my goodness - do / don't do it - this is still one tough race which I don't think will disappear off the calendar (way tougher than the Burger). I can also roll out of bed and I'm at the start :-)

DO IT DD!!! :thumbup:

:wacko: I think it's a stupid event. Apart from cost, half the funride entry end up walking parts of Vissers and all of Odendaal - whats the point of that. Why do we have to tolerate these "special" events? PPA go to the trouble of allocating seedings and setting up a yearly financial plan and then we get organisations who seem to want to do their own thing at the cyclist's expense rather than seek additional sponsors. I did the new 99'er once, it wasn't much fun and to now have to pay more for such an event is folly, strictly for the pro's who have good sponsors!

You just have to plan your races vs budget:

R70 for the Tour de PPA (rolling hills),

R70 for the Rollercoaster (5 lekker rollers), that's 1/2 your R280 budget for 1x 99er.

Effectively if you plan right, you can do 4 x R70 PPA rides.

That being said, I'm looking forward to this weekend. Seeding probably Friday?

You just have to plan your races vs budget:

R70 for the Tour de PPA (rolling hills),

R70 for the Rollercoaster (5 lekker rollers), that's 1/2 your R280 budget for 1x 99er.

Effectively if you plan right, you can do 4 x R70 PPA rides.

That being said, I'm looking forward to this weekend. Seeding probably Friday?

Those race prices are if you did the early entry if I am not mistaken...... R100 for late PPA entry for yesterday's race. That's a R30 fee for late entry.

Race pack collection and late entries will take place at the following venues:

REEDS Cape Town: Wednesday, 8 February 2012, 16:00 - 19:00

Corner of Oswald Pirow and Jack Craig Street, Cape Town

Phone: (021) 443 5100

REEDS N1 City: Thursday, 9 February 2012, 16:00 - 19:00

Corner of Giel Basson and Nathan Mallach Rd, N1 City, Goodwood

Phone: (021) 596 2600

REEDS Tygervalley: Friday, 10 February 2012, 16:00 - 19:00

Durban Road, Tygervalley

Phone: (021) 910 7660

Durbanville Race Course: Saturday 11 February 2012,

from 05:30 - 07:30am

:wacko: I think it's a stupid event. Apart from cost, half the funride entry end up walking parts of Vissers and all of Odendaal - whats the point of that. Why do we have to tolerate these "special" events? PPA go to the trouble of allocating seedings and setting up a yearly financial plan and then we get organisations who seem to want to do their own thing at the cyclist's expense rather than seek additional sponsors. I did the new 99'er once, it wasn't much fun and to now have to pay more for such an event is folly, strictly for the pro's who have good sponsors!

Got nothing to do with PPA - it's organised by the Cycle Tour organisation - Argus seeding race so no affiliation to PPA.

If you're not racing and you're criticising this event, then:

1/ Are you a League rider who wants a weekend off from the red zone of pure pain - UNDERSTANDABLE. :thumbup:

*2/ Are you a residence in the South and need to account for incidental costs, like petrol - SOMEWHAT UNDERSTANDABLE. :mellow:

3/ If you have feelings about the route, the organisation, the entry fee, etc. - JUST WEIRD. :thumbdown:

*There is a balanced split between races starting in the South and North over 2011/2012.