Buying a Carbon MTB Frame

Caerus

I am looking to upgrade my current XC 26" Ali frame to a 26" carbon frame. I've been doing a lot of looking & research(the hub and via my friend Google) but am not sure of a few things, so need some help please. As this is the first carbon frame that I'm buying, I want to get it right. So please bare with me. :)

I will be using the bike for mostly XC riding & for race days, also to do training on the road. I'm looking to spend about R5000(maybe R5500), I realise thats not a lot, but thats what my budget is as I also need a new fork.

Is it a better idea to be buying new, a branded frame or a no-name brand? I've looked on The Hub and there is not much in terms of what I want at the moment. I'm also a bit weary in what could have happened to a 2nd hand frame , something that even the previous owner knows nothing about.

I've read into the supposed perils of buying a no name brand from e-bay, but the cost of a branded frame is kinda putting me off a bit, hence if I was to go this route it would be to buy through a local supplier as they offer aguaranteee(small peace of mind). I've found a few sellers here on The Hub ( Summit, CycleBuzz, Concept). Does anyone know who or where else I can look, ideally it would be local.

What should I be looking for in terms of geometry for a XC carbon frame?

With regards to size, I know I'm a large, but can also just fit onto a medium. Is there a way to kind safeguard (checking measurements) that I order the correct size, bearing in mind my current two frames are a large.

Whats with a curved top top versus a straight top tube, is this purely aesthetics or does it make for a better frame(stiffness, handling etc)

And no, I do not want to buy a 29er :whistling:

Many Thanks

Edited by Caerus

I am looking to upgrade my current XC 26" Ali frame to a 26" carbon frame. I've been doing a lot of looking & research(the hub and via my friend Google) but am not sure of a few things, so need some help please. As this is the first carbon frame that I'm buying, I want to get it right. So please bare with me. :)

I will be using the bike for mostly XC riding & for race days, also to do training on the road. I'm looking to spend about R5000(maybe R5500), I realise thats not a lot, but thats what my budget is as I also need a new fork.

Is it a better idea to be buying new, a branded frame or a no-name brand? I've looked on The Hub and there is not much in terms of what I want at the moment. I'm also a bit weary in what could have happened to a 2nd hand frame , something that even the previous owner knows nothing about.

I've read into the supposed perils of buying a no name brand from e-bay, but the cost of a branded frame is kinda putting me off a bit, hence if I was to go this route it would be to buy through a local supplier as they offer aguaranteee(small peace of mind). I've found a few sellers here on The Hub ( Summit, CycleBuzz, Concept). Does anyone know who or where else I can look, ideally it would be local.

What should I be looking for in terms of geometry for a XC carbon frame?

With regards to size, I know I'm a large, but can also just fit onto a medium. Is there a way to kind safeguard (checking measurements) that I order the correct size, bearing in mind my current two frames are a large.

Whats with a curved top top versus a straight top tube, is this purely aesthetics or does it make for a better frame(stiffness, handling etc)

And no, I do not want to buy a 29er :whistling:

Many Thanks

As for size, if you are comfortable with your current bikes, then compare their effective top tube sizes, with stems and bar types to the new frame with new stem and bar config to be as close as possible.

Just watch out for head tube as well. Most carbons are tapered, so you will need tapered steerer tube. New headset. Plench of the new ones also have press fit BB.

If you buy second hand, check for cracks where head tube and underside of downtube meet.

Where downtube and chainstays meet BB, and where seatstays meet seat tube.

Picked up a Spez stumpy tonight and almost hit myself in the chin... :D

Just watch out for head tube as well. Most carbons are tapered, so you will need tapered steerer tube. New headset. Plench of the new ones also have press fit BB. If you buy second hand, check for cracks where head tube and underside of downtube meet. Where downtube and chainstays meet BB, and where seatstays meet seat tube. Picked up a Spez stumpy tonight and almost hit myself in the chin... :D

I'm hoping a headset will be included, or is that not normal when buying a frame? So far it looks like I could need a few other new things. I'm surprised that there are not more 26" secondhand frames about.

As I understand tapered headset means you need a different fork too, not just a different headset - you need a fork with a tapered steerer.

The problem with undbranded carbon is no warrantee. Just as you are afraid of issues with second hand frames the prev. owner was unaware of, you should be afraid of manufacturing issues with carbon that the manufacturer was unaware of.

My take is that you should reconsider the R5k you want to spend on the frame and invest in a top of the range fork, which you need anyway.

"Whats with a curved top top versus a straight top tube,"

My layman take is that a top tube with a concave curve will increase vertical stiffness. This reduces the compliance and increases pedaling efficiency. i.e. uncomfortable and fast - a race bike.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

Maybe consider this one... I have used some other parts of the same brand and very happy with it!

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=51272

I was looking at that last night, they look nice :thumbup: . I would at least get someguaranteee for that price, and I will beinsuringg it, so if there are issues I can always claim for it. The price is pretty good, considering they were R8.5k. I'll have to read a bit more into them.

"Maybe consider this one... I have used some other parts of the same brand and very happy with it!

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=51272"

It is not a carbon frame. It is a aluminium frame with carbon parts, most likely the chain stays.

The carbon frame is this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51270

and at R7200 or R10 000 for the 19" it is above your stated budget of R5000. Add import duty and you are better of buying a known brand frame.

"Maybe consider this one... I have used some other parts of the same brand and very happy with it!

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=51272"

It is not a carbon frame. It is a aluminium frame with carbon parts, most likely the chain stays.

The carbon frame is this one http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=51270

and at R7200 or R10 000 for the 19" it is above your stated budget of R5000. Add import duty and you are better of buying a known brand frame.

I'm thinking of calling around at various LBS to see if they have anything, even old stock hidden in a stock room. Otherise it will be a no-name brand.