120mm on the front of an Anthem?

Palaeodom

Anyone tried this? Seen a few bits and pieces on the net about people doing this and being very happy with a bit more travel on the front.

Any hubber opinions?

Edited by Palaeodom

Anyone tried this? Seen a few bits and pieces on the net about people doing this and being very happy with a bit more travel on the front.

Any hubber opinions?

Its been my riding partner's setup for about 2 years. He struggles with keeping the front end down on gradients over 25%, but he can take the big hits as if its a trail bike. The benefits outweighs the negatives.

Changed my Zula from 100mm to 120mm upfront and loving it. Not really a massive weight penalty and a lot smoother. Just check whether the frame warranty doesn't get voided if you upgrade to a longer travel fork.

I'm running that exact setup on my Anthem X currently. What it did for me was to slow the handling down a bit, whilst still allowing my narrow bar setup. The additional travel helps too.

Changed my Zula from 100mm to 120mm upfront and loving it. Not really a massive weight penalty and a lot smoother. Just check whether the frame warranty doesn't get voided if you upgrade to a longer travel fork.

Good Point....not sure but will check.

I'm running that exact setup on my Anthem X currently. What it did for me was to slow the handling down a bit, whilst still allowing my narrow bar setup. The additional travel helps too.

Do you know if there are any issues with regards to your warrenty on the frame if running a longer fork...it is only 2cm.

Do you know if there are any issues with regards to your warrenty on the frame if running a longer fork...it is only 2cm.

I've had no warranty claims on this frame and its 2 years old, so I wouldn't know.

However, I know that one of the Giant team riders rides his Anthem X Advanced with 120mm fork, so it looks like Giant are happy with it.

The warranties are pretty standard, and they could get sticky with you with modifications to spec. From Giant: ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION…

The warranties are pretty standard, and they could get sticky with you with modifications to spec. From Giant: ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION…

Yes but if you buy a frame and not an entire bike how does that affect the warranty?

Yes but if you buy a frame and not an entire bike how does that affect the warranty?

I guess that would be a different story.

I swapped the 100mm front on my GT Idrive for 120mm and it is much better. It is slightly more upright but the big difference is that the steering is less sharp and I find it doesn't wash out as much as before. However, I certainly don't use 120mm of travel ... infact, I use much the same as before.

Tumbles: giant seems to be some what self contradictory/obscure with that sorta information. example, for the Giant Anthem, the default spec is with 125mm Fox forks, but they have supplied the frame in trail/AM 'guise' to reviewers with 150mm forks. going thru the users manuals and warrantee info, and the Giant website, the only thing that 'suggests' you are limited to 120-ish mm of travel is the stock build. that's not a proper warrantee guideline.

btw: those reviews bashed those bikes for a few weeks/months with 150mm travel forks and zero complaints after. I'd go 150mm at most if this were my AM/trail bike. An RS revelation will be perfect for it.

Call Dragons Sports and find out, that way you got the info straight from the horses mouth. I'm also very interested as I've just stuck a 120mm fork onto my new Giant XTC, sold to me by the biggest Giant retailer in Durbs, they said nothing to me about voiding warrenties, I also bought just the frame and the fork from them.

While you are asking them, ask if I file out my cable guides will that void my warrenty, so I can run continues cable outers. ;)

Tumbles: giant seems to be some what self contradictory/obscure with that sorta information. example, for the Giant Anthem, the default spec is with 125mm Fox forks, but they have supplied the frame in trail/AM 'guise' to reviewers with 150mm forks. going thru the users manuals and warrantee info, and the Giant website, the only thing that 'suggests' you are limited to 120-ish mm of travel is the stock build. that's not a proper warrantee guideline.

btw: those reviews bashed those bikes for a few weeks/months with 150mm travel forks and zero complaints after. I'd go 150mm at most if this were my AM/trail bike. An RS revelation will be perfect for it.

You sure you don't mean the Trance?

I had a 80 - 100mm Sid XX WC on my previous Anthem Advanced SL, that was a medium frame, I did not like the handling of the bike and swopped the frame for a large Advanced SL with a 120mm Sid XX WC with a 15mm through axle.

The whole bike handles better, this was the best move I could have made, the bike is also more stable, have no problem with steep inclines or declines.

The most travel I got out of the fork after a big hit was about 100mm, maybe my fork set-up is preventing it from travelling more...

Irony is that the bike is lighter...

Go for it

Can't see a Dragon sports contact numbers and the dealer list doesn't seem to want to load. Any other contact details for someone at Giant who can give me a straight answer?