2012 S-Works Epic 29er stolen - R5,000 reward!!

Steelman

@Steelman: Sorry for your loss but how can you ride a bike like that and not insure it? Just an observation, but R5k reward is WAY more that you would have paid in excess (and probably premiums)

Not slating, just curious.

@Steelman: Sorry for your loss but how can you ride a bike like that and not insure it? Just an observation, but R5k reward is WAY more that you would have paid in excess (and probably premiums)

Not slating, just curious.

I missed the bit where he says it wasn't insured?

My guess is that to avoid waiting for another million months for a replacement (from Specialized, not from insurance) makes a five grand investment in getting it back worth every penny.

I missed the bit where he says it wasn't insured?

My guess is that to avoid waiting for another million months for a replacement (from Specialized, not from insurance) makes a five grand investment in getting it back worth every penny.

I missed that part as well, that is how I came to the assumption that it wasn't... If you are offering a R5k reward for something that will get replaced by insurance, you are either VERY impatient (It's not like he is waiting for the bike to be launched and I am sure that Spez will be able to get you another one even if it takes a few weeks) or you have way too much spare cash lying around (or it isn't insured and R5k is a lot cheaper than buying a new one).

Would be nice to her from Steelman though seeing as the post was directed at him ;)

BTW, I have noticed that there are many bicycles being stolen out of Cape Town lately, just last week there was a Bulls bike, a week before a Giant, what's up with that, can't you get a real job in Kaapstadt anymore?

Yeah they stole Karl Platt's bike can you beleive it.

Yeah they stole Karl Platt's bike can you beleive it.

Good luck trying to offload that anytime soon...

I missed that part as well, that is how I came to the assumption that it wasn't... If you are offering a R5k reward for something that will get replaced by insurance, you are either VERY impatient (It's not like he is waiting for the bike to be launched and I am sure that Spez will be able to get you another one even if it takes a few weeks) or you have way too much spare cash lying around (or it isn't insured and R5k is a lot cheaper than buying a new one).

Would be nice to her from Steelman though seeing as the post was directed at him ;)

Hi Guys

First thanks for all your comments and support. Unfortunately no lead yet.

Re the question of whether the bike was insured or not, you will only know that once the insurance has paid out. It was however not insured on a all risk basis.

Re the reward, I much rather get my bike back for R5,000 than claiming from insurance. First, it might lead to the guys stealing and/or selling stolen bikes being exposed, making CPT a safer place and second, it doesn't affect all of our premiums gong up all the time.

In the end the R5,000 would be money well spend in my view.

Hi Guys

First thanks for all your comments and support. Unfortunately no lead yet.

Re the question of whether the bike was insured or not, you will only know that once the insurance has paid out. It was however not insured on a all risk basis.

Re the reward, I much rather get my bike back for R5,000 than claiming from insurance. First, it might lead to the guys stealing and/or selling stolen bikes being exposed, making CPT a safer place and second, it doesn't affect all of our premiums gong up all the time.

In the end the R5,000 would be money well spend in my view.

Hi Steelman,

Thanks for the response. So to sum up if it was or wasn't, based on your response, the answer sounds like no to me. The way I understand it, if it was stolen from inside a locked house/garage and there is proof of forced entry (and provided that your house hold contents is insured for a high enough value) you should be paid out. An assessor will be able to determine that. If it was specified as an all risks item, you would have been paid out (I speak from experience having had a bicycle stolen from inside my property).

As far as saving the rest of us a few rand and making Capetown crime free, good luck. As much as I appreciate the gesture, you could have saved yourself a few grand and a lot of effort by doing it right from the beginning.

Having said that though, good luck with finding your stolen bike :thumbup: