MTB vs. Road helmets...the difference?

Palaeodom

So the functional difference is visor, which you may take off anyways but the point of a potential visor is to seperate yourself from the roadies and is therefore better than no visor at all...

Any tangible functional differences between the two, apart from some models with more occipital protection? What do the pro XC riders wear, mtb specific or road?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of both, depending on what fits them better.

Me, I use a Bell Faction for on & off road. Gives far better protection than a silly little road lid, and at a f®action of the price.

This is the one I have (yes, the colour as well)

post-3056-0-44613200-1331707394.jpg

post-3056-0-62141400-1331707403.jpg

A bit of both, depending on what fits them better.

Me, I use a Bell Faction for on & off road. Gives far better protection than a silly little road lid, and at a f®action of the price.

This is the one I have (yes, the colour as well)

post-3056-0-44613200-1331707394.jpg

post-3056-0-62141400-1331707403.jpg

I've got the Tony Hawk version of that!

I've got the Tony Hawk version of that!

They're good helmets. Just helluva warm!

And I often get asked why I chose the colour. Apart from the fact that it's AWESOME, I had a choice between pink (sparkly magenta, to give the proper name) or brown.

I think the choice was obvious...

Plus, it makes me easy to spot. And I get to say that I'm looking "Thparkilleh!"

Edited by cptmayhem

You would be easy to spot in an avalanche thats for sure. Is the helmet super hot though? I sweat mostly through my head so need something with some more holes.

So the functional difference is visor, which you may take off anyways but the point of a potential visor is to seperate yourself from the roadies and is therefore better than no visor at all...

Any tangible functional differences between the two, apart from some models with more occipital protection? What do the pro XC riders wear, mtb specific or road?

I'd say the visor definitely makes a big difference in terms of not having a sunburnt nose.

I always regret it when I forget to put my visor back on after taking my headlight off.

You would be easy to spot in an avalanche thats for sure. Is the helmet super hot though? I sweat mostly through my head so need something with some more holes.

erm, it does a bit, yeah. I sweat through my head as well, and it is noticeably hotter than my previous helmet (Bell something or other mtb helmet) but offers far more protection. And truth be told, it's still not that hot. I mean, it's not uncomfortable. Yes, it could use more air-flow, if I'm being super-duper picky and all that, but it's a third of the price of anything else at R 499. I think that's a worthy trade-off for far better protection.

They're good helmets. Just helluva warm!

And I often get asked why I chose the colour. Apart from the fact that it's AWESOME, I had a choice between pink (sparkly magenta, to give the proper name) or brown.

I think the choice was obvious...

Plus, it makes me easy to spot. And I get to say that I'm looking "Thparkilleh!"

I have a thing for magenta… :blush:

I'd actually ordered the Jamie Bestwick helmet, but Omnico sent the Hawk one instead.

I have a thing for magenta… :blush:

I'd actually ordered the Jamie Bestwick helmet, but Omnico sent the Hawk one instead.

No. Just no. You will not tarnish the good reputation of my helmet like that. Oh, god. I just did it myself, didn't I... :wacko:

Edited by cptmayhem

No. Just no. You will not tarnish the good reputation of my helmet like that. Oh, god. I just did it myself, didn't I... :wacko:

:whistling:

I've never found the visors to be of any use.

Yep. Besides making you look like a roadie when off, they never tend to stay put past the first three faceplants. That is if you can find it in the booshes after the first one.

You magenta-tarnishing bastard you...

I'm not a bastard. My folks were married at the time…at least that's what they told me.

Right, Ok. so i've decided on a MTB type lid with a peak/visor and some extra protection.

Question is FOX STRIKER or FOX FLUX, both get decent reviews....the flux is R300 cheaper on buycycle....

Anyone with any experience of these helmets?

Edited by Palaeodom

yup! trail helmets like the Fox Flux or Giro Xar

They stop you from looking like a spaz!

Imagine a trail lid without a visor

then i guess i am a spaz then :ph34r: . I lost my Fox Flux visor from a crash last year - inicidentally also lost a front tooth in same crash :cursing: