What's your opinion?

ErnestoC

Have not seen an 29 speed yet. 27 or 30 speed is the closest.

I am also still waiting to see a GF 29er in the flesh or one of the new Trek 69ers (26" rear wheel and 29" frontwheel).

oh, is it 29 inch wheels? No wonder I couldn't work out the number of cogs and chainrngs to get to 29 speed Embarrassed silly me. Anyway, are they worth the hype?

Talk to TitusTI he races a cool Titus 29er.

Also check the following.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=20188&PN=3

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/29er/

I am not sure about the hype.  I would like to test ride one some day.  At the moment only a small number of manufactures make them and most of them are smaller specialized brands.  In short if you don?t go for rigid single speeds they simply cost too much. I don?t have R15000+ (Corrected) lying around for a full susser frame only.

Ox_Wagon2008-01-03 04:23:12

What R20,000! What frame you trying to buy?

Niner's are available, Fisher's are available, should be a few others as well.

They kick ass, I now have 2 and want more! Just because.

Your Titus and the odd GT SS are the only 29ers I have seen in G<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />auteng.  So I gesstimating the price of the full sus frames from US prices.  They range between $1500 and $2000.  This includes Titus (Alu), Ventana and Intense.  Out of experience a 10x ratio gives you an ball park idea for the price in ZA.  That will give you about R15000+ range for the frames.  The cheapest full sus 29er I could find was Voodoo Conza for about $890.  I also doubt if you will be able to get a GF Hifi 29er (Complete bike) for less than R25000<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

On the other hand you can pick up a On-One 29er HT frame for less than R1000 from Chainreaction and Solomon?s was advertising GF HT for R6000 a while back.   I have been wondering about that GF HT but have sort of set my hart on a Full susser. I dont know if the upgrade from a 26" HT to a 29" HT would make such a big diffrence. 

What is the ball park price for the RIP and ALU Titus Raser X frames?

Ox_Wagon2008-01-03 04:13:13

Any decent FS is gonna set you back in the region of 15 gorilla's, 26" or 29". I think the R.I.P.9 is a little less than this and the Titus is a little more, the GF HiFi pro complete is in the region of R28,000 once again wheel size independant.

A friend just moved from a Yeti ASR-SL (FS) to a Niner EMD9 (HT) and he's loving it, but he has issues anyway.

I know the Spesh guys are also doing a 29'er this year but doubt they'll bring any in.

Thanks for info.  <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

With my budget I am reduced to choosing between a second hand FS 26" bike and a new 29" HT.  At the moment I am still wondering about the benefits of the 29" Ht over a 26" FS.Confused

If I had to choose between new 26" and 29" full FS I would definitively go for the 29er.

One of our local LBSs have one of those.

They guy has given it to some of the local mtb'ers and a few of my friends to try it out. They swear that it's one of the coolest mtbs they've ever ridden (and some of them own pretty expensive bikes...)

Haven't tried it myself though because i'm too smallCry. Think they frame they're all trying out is a medium or a LargeConfused

Been doing some preliminary reviewing of 29"ers in Gauteng. Am keen to get one myself. Only ones I've seen are the niners at Westdene. They have a Niner RIP at about 29k if I remember correctly - full sus. They've also got a Niner MCR at about 20k - thats the hardtail with the alu frame I think. The components are very different to the specs on the niner website though.

Cyclelab are getting the Gary Fishers 29"ers - they have a Superfly in the shop which is a completely gorgeous HT but very expensive.  Halfway between 30 and 40k. They are going to be pricing the hardtail Paragons at about 18k I think although haven't got them in yet. I didn't check out the Hi fi as was thinking that with the bigger wheels a hard tail would be a little more forgiving and do just fine, although yet to ride one.

So from my litte recce conclusion is so far limited options in SA, very desirable but very very expensive.